Got MOT'd Today then Insurance quote...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
skelters

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Got MOT'd Today then Insurance quote...

Post by skelters »

Took the Z4 in this morning to a local garage for the MOT.

The bloke phoned about two hour later to say it was ready. Went up to get it and asked him what it needed.

Nothing!!! Not even a bulb.

Came home this afternoon and had Admiral Insurance on the phone saying they would give me the insurance for £522.10.

Told her that I wanted to know if they had a helpdesk in India as I've had nightmares in the past with this way of working.

Kept on telling her I hadn't decided on whether or not to take the policy with them or not.

After about 5 minutes of her trying to sell me this policy she said that they would give me a bigger discount taking the cost down to £474.00 with no excess!!!

Result!!!
jhb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jhb1 »

Did you buy a lootery ticket for Wed draw ?
skelters

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by skelters »

Never bought a lootery ticket for the poor man's tax last night.

I'll maybe get one before the end of the week for Saturday.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Very well done. :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

Just had my renewal quote for my 2000 2.8 @ 34 years old....

£285 !!!!!

cant believe it

(has £350 XS but am a firm believer in paying an XS rather than up front -- you may not need it (fingers crossed))

LP
skelters

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by skelters »

It gets better though.

Read the other thread about insurance and stuff and went onto Elephant.co.uk.

They quoted me .....

£440.17 Fully Comp with no excess!!!

I'm 37 with 2 years NCD.

So that's down nearly £250 from last year.

Excellent.
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

will elephant cover a strut brace ?
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Have just received my renewal premium in the post from Admiral and they want £628 - up from £593 last year - What for? no claims this year, increased no claims bonus (7 years, 29 years old), a year older but probably none wiser! Decided to try elaphant and got a quote of £481 SO I will be giving Admiral a call to ask if they want to be a bit more realistic!
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Mine's up for renewal in June - similar stats to you Bim, albeit 1 year behind (6 years, 28 yo), so keep the quotes coming in... need to get a list of insurers to try in readiness of DirectLine screwing me over! :)
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

LP wrote:will elephant cover a strut brace ?
That I don't know but somone on here said they did I believe.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I thought I was doing well with £365 (down from £470). But £285 for a 34 year old :!:

Are you a vicar, or something? What got the quote so low?
Pingu
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

truth is I was stunned - caveats are : no 3rd party on other cars ( but that was because i work in the motor industry and they assume i am a mechanic who is going to rag the arse off other cars ), and... thats it !

It covers legal and courtesy car plus protected no claims as well as my 28 year old girlfriend who had an accident last year !

am still wondering where the catch is
LP
bigfut

M roadster S50

Post by bigfut »

Elephant do cover Strutbraces. i ahve not fitted one yet but asked in advance, it costs about £36? from memory!
Comes under suspension. :wink:
bakstagesi

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by bakstagesi »

I spent a long time getting quotes in January and elephant worked out the best by a fair way. As has been said in other threads, start a NEW quote (don't recall an old one) then add an, ahem, "low risk" driver as a named driver. My quote went down £180 when I added my mum as a named. Elephant have a good modification section, too, you can see the changes various different mods would make to the premium.

2004 Z4 3.0i with non-factory 18"s, £250 total XS, parked on street (not far from the estates), guaranteed NCB (unlimited claims in any 12 months, simply loose that year's NCB), 10k miles, 27yo driver, no convictions was, errr, £670.
Alloys and the NCB scheme added around £100, if I remember correctly, but I expect to get petty vandalism, so I think it's worth while.

By comprison, my 1.6 clio was £360pa, but I didn't search quite as hard for a good deal...

s
skelters

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by skelters »

Got the insurance sorted out today.

Admiral phoned and quoted me £522.10 although when I asked about Admiral and Elephant being the same company he changed over to Elephant quotes and took it from there.

Elephant were by far the cheapest.

Worked out at £370 fully comp with 2 years NCD. £150 excess.

Talking to the bloke and he said that the insurance is reduced as insurers see it as less of a risk the more excess you pay. £150 is the average.

After I got it sorted out More Than phoned and went through the whole thing again. For exactly the same details as Elephant, More Than quoted me £770!!!

This is on a 10 month bonus accelerator thing and after 10 months I get another 1 year NCD.

Also found out that if you have an accident then you only lose that year of NCD with Elephant.

It obvously pays to shop around as I'm now paying nearly £300 less than I was this time last year for insurance.

I'd never have searched so much if I hadn't been on this site and found out more information about car insurance so thanks for all the threads.

Another tip is to keep refusing their quotes as the price will come down the closer you get to your renewal date.
Shamus

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Shamus »

Thats who i'm with Elephant. had all my no claims but lost them due to the EX being the main driver so her insurance and I lost mine.
Had to renew insurance in Feb £453.?? for no NCD and £250 excess & a 10 month bonus accelerator offer. get you 1st year NCD after 10 months as long as you don't claim.
:D
:drive: - Z4 Sterling Grey - Red Leather - Xenon lights - 18" Alloys & a new Aero Front Bumper YEH! - :drive:

Image Image Image
Shamus

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Shamus »

Thats who i'm with Elephant. had all my no claims but lost them due to the EX being the main driver so her insurance and I lost mine.
Had to renew insurance in Feb £453.?? for no NCD and £250 excess & a 10 month bonus accelerator offer. get you 1st year NCD after 10 months as long as you don't claim.
:drive: - Z4 Sterling Grey - Red Leather - Xenon lights - 18" Alloys & a new Aero Front Bumper YEH! - :drive:

Image Image Image
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

In my experience Elephant are good until you make a claim. Someone hit me and I wanted to get the car repaired asap so paid the excess while they spoke to the other party's insurer. 11 months later still no sign of my excess refund, as they never bothered to speak with the other insurer. In the end I spoke to the other insurance company and sorted the matter within 24 hours.

but yes they do cover strut braces.
nickelbum

Z4 roadster 3.0i

insurance quote

Post by nickelbum »

03 3.0se, age 51, more than 9 years no claims, member of institute of advanced motorists, fully comp. 500 excess, one sp30 offence, £242 with swift cover .com. every other qoute at least twice as much. tracker fitted. well pleased.
Malcolm E Zed

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Malcolm E Zed »

On my Boxster last year was £850ish my insurer then wanted £1900 :shock:

Shopped around steadily went down £1200 then £900 finally got insured through Tesco for £448. Bargain.

Did a comparison against my old Zed and the Zed was more expensive with virtually everybody, and nobody could get below £500.

No rhyme or reason to any insurance company. I think they use a random number genarator and go form there.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Hello,

I have an M Roadster, and a Rover 75 2.5v6.

I have cover for both for 500 pounds, fully comp protected ncb and all the other little extras.

very good in my opinion.

The 'BEAST' 666
d0mokun

Z4 M roadster

Post by d0mokun »

I'm 23 and with my Z4M, insurance is hell. Admiral insured me last year for a good £2000 less than they quoted for this next year. Needless to say, I went elsewhere..

Dan.