DSC is King

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

DSC is King

Post by bmwstuff »

Hi Folks,

Just returned from a stint at Croft circuit, the circuit was soaked as you may have seen from all the rain. But its been the most fun I've had in the Zee with DSC on.
With all the rain you suddenly realise how much BMW has put into their stability systems. I left DSC on most of the time as there were plenty of elise's and "pure" sports cars hitting the gravel.
Dsc just pulls you in the right direction.
I've always been keen on the purist approach lim slip diff, no traction etc, but when the weather gets wet like this, I think I would prefer to keep DSC on.
Anyone else had any thoughts on the DSC? I think sometimes it gets a bad press.

Dan
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by bmwstuff on Sun 06 Mar, 2011 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Ian in Lancs

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Ian in Lancs »

I've just got back from an awesome driving holiday in Provence. I had a chance to play with the DSC. You're right, in the wet it can hold the car impressively in line. In the dry however the power cut is intrusive and can pitch the car. Switching just DSC off but keeping the traction on gives awesome dry road handling with just the right amount of slide... Switching everything off is more for dry track madness when there's no chance of other cars, caravans, goat's or whatever round a blind corner. Yep I'm impressed with what they've done too. All we need is French mountain roads here in the UK..
Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

This is the best stability control system I've ever used, my Volvo also has DSC but it doesn't cut in quickly enough.

It really does allow you to take the p*ss but as with any system it's not foolproof, you can have an accident in the time it takes it to register and react to trouble.

That said the system is so good that I just boot it in the wet and let the car sort it out. My old MR2 Turbo had no TC and you couldn't let it get on boost in the wet, you'd just loose the back end.

I used to take the purist view to driver aids but if they're this good I'll take all the help I can get, you can always switch it off if you want to loon about.