bloody alarm!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
kevineaton77

blank.gif

bloody alarm!

Post by kevineaton77 »

hello again. hope all is well....please help....

is there anyway to disable the damn alarm on my z4 3.0 2004 model?

i want to be able to lock and unlock the car with the fob and not have the stupid alarm wake me up at 4am. it is driving me crazy. :head:

my honda s2000 used to do this. i had it checked out several times and disconnected many of the sensors but it still did it. maybe its radio interference. i ended up just locking it with the key.

i just want to be able to lock the car with the fob and have it immobilised. if someone breaks into the car and tries to steal the contents of the glove compartment, good luck to them. im certainly not going to get out of bed to stop them anyway even if the alarm does go off!

further question - does locking it with the key immobilise the car??

cheers and thanks for your help
kev
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

With the alarm on the Z3, the immobiliser is not part of the alarm system - it works by reading a chip in the key via an inductive loop. I would expect this to have continued into the Z4 as it is a key BMW security feature. So even if you lock your key with the key the immobiliser should already be armed. This can be proven by the people who have been out and bought cheap key blanks off ebay, had them cut, and discovered they won't start the car - there have been a few Z3 threads on this. Hopefully someone with a Z4 can confirm this. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
chester

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by chester »

Not sure if this is much help as I have a Z4 but

When you press the lock button on the keybod, you can press and hold the lock button again (must be done within 3 seconds) and a clown nose LED stats lit for a few seconds longer, this shows you it has activated the alarm but disabled the internal sensors, it's supposed to be for when the roof is dropped, or you leave a dog in the car or something.

Hope this helps - like i say, it does it on the z4 but not sure about the z3
kevineaton77

blank.gif

Post by kevineaton77 »

hey guys - thanks for that.

i had tried pressing the lock button twice on the advice of someone else, but havent been holding it down the second time, just clicking- i will give this a go!

cheers!
kev
pop_sausage

Z4 M roadster

Post by pop_sausage »

kevineaton77 wrote:hey guys - thanks for that.

i had tried pressing the lock button twice on the advice of someone else, but havent been holding it down the second time, just clicking- i will give this a go!

cheers!
kev
my alarm started playing up, it was a £10 (iirc) bonnet sensor. A common problem - if it's not that sensor, it's the other one in the boot which is a bit more hassle and cost.
kevineaton77

blank.gif

Post by kevineaton77 »

is it possible to just disconnect the sensors?
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Yes, just don't connect the wires leading to the switch. It is alike a fridge switch, only causes a circuit when the door is open.
kevineaton77

blank.gif

Post by kevineaton77 »

great, i will try that!

cheers again
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

Paul, I can't get my car in the fridge to see if you're right.
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Mike, in your case I suggest you drill a hole in the bonnet to see what the switch does. 8-)
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

Thanks for that Paul, I was going to take the bonnet off but realised that it pushed the switch! I tried sitting in the fridge last night but every time my family closed the door on me the light went out and I couldn't see the switch.
MarkN

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by MarkN »

z head wrote:Thanks for that Paul, I was going to take the bonnet off but realised that it pushed the switch! I tried sitting in the fridge last night but every time my family closed the door on me the light went out and I couldn't see the switch.
Note:

For any children reading this, the man above is a trained stuntman and you should not try and do this at home. The door on a fridge makes an air tight seal and you will suffocate and die and then make the cheese smell bad! This would not make your mum very happy.

Be Safe Out There!!