New Z4 review

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
ohrsome

Z3 roadster 2.0

New Z4 review

Post by ohrsome »

Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Looks a bit of an acquired taste to me . . . . . . . . . . . . . and I don't think I've acquired it!!!

Was Chris Bungle responsible for this?? After the 7 series and 5 series, I still think he has a fair bit to answer for (IMHO).

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Bangle my not have been popular with the drivers of older BMW's and journalists, but it's impossible to argue with the numbers. During his tenure as head of BMW brand design and then BMW group design, BMW has sold far more vehicles than ever before.

The 5 Series has been particularly successful in both sales and reviews. How often has the E6x 5 Series failed to win a group test against the A6 and E Class?
danieltharris

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by danieltharris »

Personally I think this is kind of moving away from what a Z should be.

The Z4 before this in it's //M form is a real monster and I don't think BMW will make another car like it for a while.

In general I think they should have offered the car with a soft top still. It's moving more into a comfy and "classy" car than a fun little beast (Although i'm sure it's still very fun to drive). I know this is what they intended but given the choice I would go with the "old" Z4 shape/design in it's M setup, even if they cost the same.

The review says some of the awesome handling has been lost to give a more comfy ride but I don't get these people who buy a sports car and then want a fluffy soft ride, but I know theres enough people like this to warrant BMW making the changes. They do know what they are doing after all.
MikeWorsfold

M roadster S54

I really liked it...

Post by MikeWorsfold »

I had an Z3 M-Roadster some years back and then a Z4 3.0. I tried out the new Z4 a couple of days ago and it was a more comfortable ride. But rather hope that with the "adaptive M suspension" in the sport mode would give more feel when in the mood for a fun drive - didn't have this option of the one I drove. But I guess it is too much to ask to have the best of both worlds. I have taken a chance and ordered one with the M suspension. It is going to be a long 6 weeks...
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

I saw one on the road the other day, and I had to take a second glance. It was in black/red leather (my kinda spec!) and I must admit it looked pretty special.

But juts looks like a big SLK - although thats not a bad thing, just not quite got the grey hair to buy one yet :)
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: I really liked it...

Post by Ian_C »

MikeWorsfold wrote:I have taken a chance and ordered one with the M suspension. It is going to be a long 6 weeks...
Looks like you could be the first on zroadster with the new z4 then. Don't forget the pics... :wink:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: I really liked it...

Post by Alfie »

MikeWorsfold wrote:I have taken a chance and ordered one...
:shock:

WOW!

That's the first order I've heard of on this forum or our sister.

Congrats Mike and please keep us up to date with all the news....
MikeWorsfold wrote:It is going to be a long 6 weeks...
I seem to remember that when the Z3 was first released, there was an 18 month waiting list....

A.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

The first Z4 was hitting the second hand market only 6 months after it went up...

As much as they slag the Z3 off... it was original, and its still the best ;)
tetchmeister
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by tetchmeister »

smartypants wrote:
As much as they slag the Z3 off... it was original,
Apart from the Z1, and all the other 2 seat roadsters that came before it.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

I found this review LINK. IMHO probably sums up all the other reviews that have been published. Seems to be selling well in the USA.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Zed Carer wrote:I found this review
...its fresh civility introduces elegance and class at the expense of youthful playfulness
Guess you 'n me will have to decide how old we really are then :wink:
Image :devil:
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Austin Powers »

I have driven the new Z4 on friday and must say I concour with the Car and Driver bottom line. :?
Perfect looks, perfect materials, perfect gadgets, the roof in the trunk is silly monkey business, love the hump on the bonnet - reminds me very much of my beloved Z3, love the seating position - the car actually hugs you allround, love the sound - could be louder though, love the engine - the entry model, the car on the road feels heavy, as does the steering wheel and the nose, the car floats over the bumps easily, but it also floats when changing lanes - to much for my taste. THE WEIGHT IS THE ENEMY. This new kid on the block doesn't seem planted enough. The manual gearbox is awesome. Braking is also quite surfish...
I'm also affraid this car will mostly be seen closed, and not on the roads he's supposed to be seen - in open mode...fancy, grown up, to comfortable, roadstar. Sadly not a roadster.
I'll wait for the Z2 before I say: I want one. :lol:
I like it a lot though. ;)

BW
Austin
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Titan wrote
Zed Carer wrote:
I found this review

...its fresh civility introduces elegance and class at the expense of youthful playfulness

Titan wrote
Guess you 'n me will have to decide how old we really are then :wink:
Speak for yourself Titan - I'm still too young for a ///M and when you could get a nearly new Z4M plus a ///M for less than an S3.5ixxxx or whatever they are called now roll on the youthful playfulness :lol:
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Zed Carer wrote:Speak for yourself Titan - I'm still too young for a ///M and when you could get a nearly new Z4M plus a ///M for less than an S3.5ixxxx or whatever they are called now roll on the youthful playfulness :lol:
All you need is one of these then ZC :wink:
Hope the arm/wrist continues to improve :)
Image :devil:
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Austin Powers »

I would just like to say, that I made a small mistake in my test drive. I never used the SPORT+ suspension mode, which should be far better than on previous Z4. Meaning, sportier, harder.
I was driving it in NORMAL and SPORT mode, which are way to comfortable.
So, I'm testing it again. And if SPORT+ mode really is as they claim to be, then the new Z4 has only three drawbacks left - stupid roof, stupid afterthought airel and a tag price... 8-)
BW
Austin

smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Just popped to the dealer yesterday to have a look at the new Z4. And I must say I didnt expect to be as impressed as I was. The model in the showroom was the 23i, and it was absolutely stunning. Probably the best looking BMW I have seen. Also I was surprised how much it reminded me of the Z3, the rear... when sitting in it you can see the bonnet again reaching out in front of you (which you couldnt in the old Z4).. and more importantly it felt compact and small - again like the Z3.

I think I would buy one :D

I am going to test drive one in the next few weeks... i wouldnt go for the 35i though, just dont like the exhaust arrangement, it makes it look too big at the rear, I like the compactness of the classic twin on the left hand side.
trottski

Z4 M roadster

Post by trottski »

smartypants wrote:Just popped to the dealer yesterday to have a look at the new Z4. And I must say I didnt expect to be as impressed as I was. The model in the showroom was the 23i, and it was absolutely stunning. Probably the best looking BMW I have seen. Also I was surprised how much it reminded me of the Z3, the rear... when sitting in it you can see the bonnet again reaching out in front of you (which you couldnt in the old Z4).. and more importantly it felt compact and small - again like the Z3.

I am going to test drive one in the next few weeks... i wouldnt go for the 35i though, just dont like the exhaust arrangement, it makes it look too big at the rear, I like the compactness of the classic twin on the left hand side.
Compact and Small? Its physically a much bigger car all round and by a long way too, how can it be compact and small! :?
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

trottski wrote:
smartypants wrote:Just popped to the dealer yesterday to have a look at the new Z4. And I must say I didnt expect to be as impressed as I was. The model in the showroom was the 23i, and it was absolutely stunning. Probably the best looking BMW I have seen. Also I was surprised how much it reminded me of the Z3, the rear... when sitting in it you can see the bonnet again reaching out in front of you (which you couldnt in the old Z4).. and more importantly it felt compact and small - again like the Z3.

Compact and Small? Its physically a much bigger car all round and by a long way too, how can it be compact and small! :?
Dunno - exactly what I thought, just had that feel about it, nothing like the old Z4 which was always a bit on the cumbersome side for me.

Its a lovely car. Not sure about the badging on the side though, or the electric hand brake :|
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Austin Powers »

A car, that weights 1,6t - can not be small, agile and nible...
Nuff said. :D
BW
Austin
PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

All I can say is YAK! Nearly mistaken this for another BMW 3/5/etc series! Not a Z...very disapointed to the styling, but I guess the main bulk of people I see driving Z4's are old people so they need to suit their market.

Shame!
ohrsome

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ohrsome »

Saw my first MkII Z4 this morning. Even though it was raining and the car was in a colour that I can only describe as metallic dog poo, I thought it looked great. Driven by some man who was about a hundred though - says it really
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Saw one at main dealership last week and very nice looking bit of kit too.
Not as small as many convertibles but would be happy to have one on my driveway- cant comment on driveability as not driven one.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Austin Powers »

Grandson&grandpa:

Grandson is obviously much much bigger. :)

BW
Austin
Tom

Z3 roadster 2.8

New Z4

Post by Tom »

I have had mine for 6weeks now. Light years ahead of the Z3 with a grin factor just as big. The metal roof was the deciding factor.

When the rain stops now it takes me less than 2 mins to leather off the top and fold it away. Thats something you can't do in a Z3

I am still keeping my Z3 .after 10 years I couldnt bear to part with it.
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: New Z4

Post by Austin Powers »

Tom wrote:I have had mine for 6weeks now. Light years ahead of the Z3 with a grin factor just as big. The metal roof was the deciding factor.

When the rain stops now it takes me less than 2 mins to leather off the top and fold it away. Thats something you can't do in a Z3

I am still keeping my Z3 .after 10 years I couldnt bear to part with it.
That's the winning combo. 8-)
BW
Austin
biglet2002

Z4 roadster 2.5i

e89

Post by biglet2002 »

As one of the few women on this forum, plus degreed in industrial design.... I think the new e89 is s stunner both inside and out.. the fact that both interior and exterior head designers were women is a huge plus!

Lisa
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Thanks very much for that biglet2002, its great to here from our "other alf" zedthusiasts. Love your point of view..
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
tanman_sg

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: e89

Post by tanman_sg »

biglet2002 wrote:As one of the few women on this forum, plus degreed in industrial design.... I think the new e89 is s stunner both inside and out.. the fact that both interior and exterior head designers were women is a huge plus!

Lisa
An educated opinion! And I do have to agree. It's beautiful.

My mother who has a Z3 (and has posted here once or twice) agrees.