New Z4 on Top Gear

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

New Z4 on Top Gear

Post by johnz3 »

Clarkson test drives a Z4 tonight on Top Gear
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Shouldn't think he'll give it a good review. So far it's been called quite lardy in the press compared to the Boxster and he was never complimentary to the Z3.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
pop_sausage

Z4 M roadster

Post by pop_sausage »

Unfortunantly, the new z4 segment has been dropped from tonight's show in favour of the XFR road test.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

pop_sausage wrote:Unfortunantly, the new z4 segment has been dropped from tonight's show in favour of the XFR road test.
Not unfortunate at all, the supercharged V8 is allegedly (according the the Jaguar engineer we spoke to) far better than the M5 V8, due to peak BHP being acheived far lower in the rev range with a flatter torque curve.

Far more interesting and beautiful than the new Z4, which appers to have become competion for the 50 year old female divorcee market like the SC430 and the SLK.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

estocks wrote:Far more interesting and beautiful than the new Z4, which appers to have become competion for the 50 year old female divorcee market like the SC430 and the SLK.
Red rags and bulls :twisted: - Not that I disagree with you :D .
Pingu

Post by Guest »

We watch the programme anyway but still waiting !!!! :shrug 20:53...
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

That Jag was phenominal. Doesn't require a dozen button presses to get full power, and if you catch Clarkson's original review of the M5 on Dave, he said the gearbox was horribly jerky at low speeds, the steering was too heavy, the indicators were annoying, the styling was brash and the the iDrive and Sat Nav were horribly unfriendly.

The Jag's menu was custom designed for the car by Microsoft and by reports from an XF owner is nice to use. No doubt it rides beauitifully like the regular XF too.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I liked the Tata. A wolf in sheep's clothing, and it looked like it would be much more useable in the real world (though we never saw it there :head: ).
Pingu
LEX77

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by LEX77 »

I drive a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag :lol: :lol: :lol:
Silver Z3 3Litre " gone :-( "
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

estocks wrote:

Far more interesting and beautiful than the new Z4, which appers to have become competion for the 50 year old female divorcee market like the SC430 and the SLK.

more interesting? what? a 55-year-old company directors car?
:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

But when clakson drove it he had to get the rears smoking. When the stig drove it, faster and no smoke.

I cannot stand the way that cars are trashed. And as for throwing the roof glass down the mountainside, who went down to clear that mess up?

Total K**b H**ds the pair of them. God forbid I never see a Z3 trashed like the Porsche was.

First time I've watched since they trashed the rear suspension of a Bentley. Hopefully I won't watch it again.

Peter.
Last edited by Wessex on Sun 19 Jul, 2009 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

estocks wrote:which appers to have become competion for the 50 year old female divorcee market like the SC430 and the SLK.
Well she's got to have something to drive past the ex in so she can raise her hand and show how she feels about him.

Not a man scorned are you estocks :?:
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

LEX77 wrote:I drive a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag :lol: :lol: :lol:
I worked in the experimental dept [now known as research & development] many years ago when they were run by Sir William Lyons.
I have always had a soft spot for them, I did have an XK150 a few years back it was so heavy and a bitch to drive, compared to the Z3.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Snoops wrote:Well she's got to have something to drive past the ex in so she can raise her hand and show how she feels about him.

Not a man scorned are you estocks :?:
Not yet, but there's time :D
gookah wrote:more interesting? what? a 55-year-old company directors car?
:D
I'd rather be a 55 year old director than a 55 year old woman with concrete perm blonde hair, poor spacial awarness when driving, huge sunglasses, a mouth like a cat's arse and a fear of lowering the roof lest the perm got damaged :twisted:
CollyB

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by CollyB »

Do you mean an Audrey Roberts off Corrie- type of look?

Or those "ladies who lunch" types you see in Lancashire Life. Full maquillage for a few Paul Heathcote butties, because they've been invited to view the new Summer range stocked by some boutique in an outpost like Clitheroe. Usually run by a 55 year old divoree?

Because those are the only "type" of women I've ever seen driving Z4's...apart from me who is more your "rock-chick-type" :D actually I've been told I could double for Imogen Stubbs.

Never liked Jaaaaaaaags, they're just so fusty. Don't like the new Z4 either.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

estocks wrote:That Jag was phenominal. Doesn't require a dozen button presses to get full power, and if you catch Clarkson's original review of the M5 on Dave, he said the gearbox was horribly jerky at low speeds, the steering was too heavy, the indicators were annoying, the styling was brash and the the iDrive and Sat Nav were horribly unfriendly.
Well, it's actually only 1 button. :D
Oh and the M5 is a V10....
押忍!闘え!応援団
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

CollyB wrote:Do you mean an Audrey Roberts off Corrie- type of look?

Or those "ladies who lunch" types you see in Lancashire Life. Full maquillage for a few Paul Heathcote butties, because they've been invited to view the new Summer range stocked by some boutique in an outpost like Clitheroe. Usually run by a 55 year old divoree?

Because those are the only "type" of women I've ever seen driving Z4's...apart from me who is more your "rock-chick-type" :D actually I've been told I could double for Imogen Stubbs.

Definately the ladies who lunch. Poe faced Hyasinth Buckets.:twisted:
PhoenixCoupe wrote:Well, it's actually only 1 button. :D
Oh and the M5 is a V10....
And it has an enviable upper rev limit. :)
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

CollyB wrote:Do you mean an Audrey Roberts off Corrie- type of look?

Mmmmmmmmmm Colly I think they call those women 'helmet heads' :lol: :lol: :lol: I say top down hair is wild hair. :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
unclemart

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by unclemart »

Wessex wrote: I cannot stand the way that cars are trashed. And as for throwing the roof glass down the mountainside, who went down to clear that mess up?

Peter.
Dont worry Peter everything they do is set up - somebody would have been down the hill catching it or picking up the peices. Cheap gags is what the show is about - I agree about the trashing thing though unless you are dropping a piano onto a morris marina :twisted:

who else noticed the advertising slogans on the 3 cars during the ice race - and then how they read once the doors were opened ..... cheap but quite funny very Top gear :D

I missed the prog on sunday good old BBC Iplayer :colourful:
Remember "To become old and wise - First you need to be young and stupid"

Titanium Silver 2.0
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

2litrezed wrote:
Wessex wrote: I cannot stand the way that cars are trashed. And as for throwing the roof glass down the mountainside, who went down to clear that mess up?

Peter.
Dont worry Peter everything they do is set up - somebody would have been down the hill catching it or picking up the peices. Cheap gags is what the show is about - I agree about the trashing thing though unless you are dropping a piano onto a morris marina :twisted:

who else noticed the advertising slogans on the 3 cars during the ice race - and then how they read once the doors were opened ..... cheap but quite funny very Top gear :D

I missed the prog on sunday good old BBC Iplayer :colourful:
It's an old gag they first though of on the 24h Brit race with the 330d. Shame they have to recyle jokes and make them so glaringly obvious even an American would get them.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

New Z4 was on this weeks show and I must say, it is actually starting to grow on me. Don't think it quite floats my boat enough to actually go out and buy one, but at least BMW are heading back towards a decent roadster.

Clarkson actually liking is AH Sprite really tickled me. They are enormous fun to drive and mine frog has the same 1275cc engine as the one he was driving. Pity he didn't have my suspension and gearbox to go with it. :lol;

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

estocks wrote:Shouldn't think he'll give it a good review. So far it's been called quite lardy in the press compared to the Boxster and he was never complimentary to the Z3.
Well, I was spot on with that one.

Great show, less scripting, more down-to-earth motoring. Couple of amusing gags "Jurrasic Park" and "<the woman from naturewatch>'s hedge" Full marks.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I'm grateful to Sky+. I borrowed a mate's Z4 and was round at Muriel's when it was on :twisted: .
Pingu
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Very favourable review - car looked fluyid and well balanced on the track in the damp.

Clarkson said if he could only have one car for rest of his life and it was Z3 35i he'd be happy.

It was then filmed on back to back split screen lap against 370z which was faster but that car slated for being noisy and with harsh ride. At start of lap fototage JC said it was unfair as 370z had more power. At least with Fifth gear they compare outgoing or older models to new ones so you can see differences in development of same make/model derivative.

Time diffrence on paper woulkd be irrelavant in real world as slightest error on finding an apex would make more difference.

A look at the company it is keeping on the power lap board shows it to be more than adequate, only 0.2 secs behind M3CSL

Porsche 911 GT3 1.27.2
TVR 350C 1.27.5
Nissan 370Z 1.27.5
BMW M3 CSL 1.28.0
Roush Mustang 1.28.0
Renault Megane R26R 1.28.1
BMW Z4 1.28.2
Marcos TSO GT2 1.28.2
Subaru WRX Sti 1.28.2
Mitsubishi Evo X 1.28.22
Dodge Viper SRT-10 1.28.5
MG SV 1.28.6
Porsche 911 Carrera S 1.28.9
Mitsubishi Evo VIII 1.28.9
BMW Alpina Z8 1.29.0
Mercedes CL65 1.29.0

After all his good comments he then said re time this proves its slower, more poorly equipped and more expensive.............I assumed this reference to be against the, (hard top), 370z.

Oh and here's the footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1onxsrS--E
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

He did say he'd rather have the Z4 though as the Datsun still suffers from the eternal problem of being awful inside...
押忍!闘え!応援団
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

The M3 CSL time was done in the wet IIRC

The previous generation Z4M was faster than the both the new Z4 35thingy and the datsun...... :|
Image Image

Seduced by the zed side
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

.........Am sure you are right if thats your recollection. Link I posted from didn't have indications of wet laps.

Even considering that when you look at the metal it's lapping with at similar times it's hardly poor time realtively speaking and let's not forget it's not an M car either.

I havent driven one so cant comment further escept to say with state of undefunded british roads theres a lot to be said for having a bit of comfort if the car is still capable of delivering when pushed. Most new Z4's wont go near a track, (especially with first owners), but it's nice to know they wont be emabarassed if they do.

No good having a track icon if it's P.I.T.A. (literally), on the uk roads which IMO the most relevant environment for it be enjoyable within.

Forums are funny places and it often seems to be the norm for folk with the outgoing models to slag of the newer developed replacements. I have seen favourbale things typed on bmw baords re E70 & X6. Yet on an X forum I use many with older cars have actively slated the later cars.

I like the Z3 we own.

I accept the first gen Z4 is an improvement technically to the Z3 & a fimer more rigid package albeit to some it's not as pleasing to the eye as the Z3.

I personally feel the new Z4 is the latest incarnation albeit a softer one. The interior and exterior IMO beat the previous Z4 hands down.

If I had a choice between the three, (which I could afford to take but wouldn't choose to due to other financial priorities), then I would be happy to have the latest car on my driveway, (on face of what I have read & subject to a decent & satisfied test drive).
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

AW8 wrote:.........Am sure you are right if thats your recollection. Link I posted from didn't have indications of wet laps.

Even considering that when you look at the metal it's lapping with at similar times it's hardly poor time realtively speaking and let's not forget it's not an M car either.

I havent driven one so cant comment further escept to say with state of undefunded british roads theres a lot to be said for having a bit of comfort if the car is still capable of delivering when pushed. Most new Z4's wont go near a track, (especially with first owners), but it's nice to know they wont be emabarassed if they do.

No good having a track icon if it's P.I.T.A. (literally), on the uk roads which IMO the most relevant environment for it be enjoyable within.

Forums are funny places and it often seems to be the norm for folk with the outgoing models to slag of the newer developed replacements. I have seen favourbale things typed on bmw baords re E70 & X6. Yet on an X forum I use many with older cars have actively slated the later cars.

I like the Z3 we own.

I accept the first gen Z4 is an improvement technically to the Z3 & a fimer more rigid package albeit to some it's not as pleasing to the eye as the Z3.

I personally feel the new Z4 is the latest incarnation albeit a softer one. The interior and exterior IMO beat the previous Z4 hands down.

If I had a choice between the three, (which I could afford to take but wouldn't choose to due to other financial priorities), then I would be happy to have the latest car on my driveway, (on face of what I have read & subject to a decent & satisfied test drive).
For me the biggest problem with the New Z4 is the time it takes for the roof to go up or down. Having done many trips in the Z3 where I am happily going along with the roof down and it starts raining, so at the next lights etc we pop the roof back up, it just isn't possible in the new Z4, as the lights will change before it's halfway back up!
Other than that I think it's a great car.

JB
John Boy
2.8 Z3
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Audi A5 can raise/lower at up to 30mph apparently.......... 8-)
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

I was out in Bongo yesterday through the New Forest and the spitting rain got a bit more persistent so I checked no one was behind, slowed to 20 and pushed raise button. Closed a treat.

Wouldn't do it with someone behind though as the brake peddle needs lightly pressing.

Peter.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Wessex wrote:I was out in Bongo yesterday through the New Forest and the spitting rain got a bit more persistent so I checked no one was behind, slowed to 20 and pushed raise button. Closed a treat.

Wouldn't do it with someone behind though as the brake peddle needs lightly pressing.

Peter.
:? The roof acts like a sail and you could cause some serious damage at those sorts of speeds.
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

estocks wrote:The roof acts like a sail and you could cause some serious damage at those sorts of speeds.
OK thanks for advice. I won't be so lazy next time. :dunce:

Peter