removing runflats

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
chris-durham

blank.gif

removing runflats

Post by chris-durham »

hi guys,
i have 18" bmw 5 spoke wheels on my Z4 and am needing 2 new back tyres. I would like to get ordinary tyres for it - is there any reason that i cant fit ordinary non-run flats to these rims?

Cheers
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: removing runflats

Post by Zed Carer »

chris-durham wrote:hi guys,
i have 18" bmw 5 spoke wheels on my Z4 and am needing 2 new back tyres. I would like to get ordinary tyres for it - is there any reason that i cant fit ordinary non-run flats to these rims?

Cheers
Lots of discussion threads HERE on this topic. The rears on my wife's Z4 are getting low at nearly 20k and some quick searches are showing around £450 for 2 new RFT's so I think that she will be getting a set of Falkens for Xmas :D
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

ZC has it right there - if you are changing away from runflats, it is a must to change all four tyres to non-runflats - they do not mix well.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
AlanJ

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Re: removing runflats

Post by AlanJ »

chris-durham wrote:hi guys,

Cheers
Non runflats will fit to these rims
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I have none rft's on the rear of my 5 and RFT's on the front with no adverse affects.

I only changed when we had a flat in a run flat and it collapsed and the inner sidewall disintegrated! No good only being 'run flat' when you're 1 up is it!
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Just be careful if you ever intend to trade in to a BMW dealership, they will automatically charge you for a full set of tyres to replace the non runflats (they are not allowed to sell them without runflats on if thats how they came form the factory :wink: )
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster