Z4 Dillema

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
lingus

BMW other

Z4 Dillema

Post by lingus »

Hello all
I have had many roadsters in my time but never a Z4, i have always had a soft spot for the design.
Currently i have a Rare MINI GP but fancy going back to open top motoring, i have a seen a 08 2.0 Carbon Black Edition Sport near me for sale for just under 17K it has only 9k miles on it so i don't think it's a bad price at all.
Ideally i'm wanting a diesel TT but they are just far to expensive at the moment.
So are there any words of wisdom for me to pursue a Z4 over a TT? even though the 2.0 would be seriously underpowered compared to my GP i don't think i would miss it.
So if anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated.

Regards
Jeff
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Z4 Dillema

Post by TitanTim »

lingus wrote:Hello all
I have had many roadsters in my time but never a Z4, i have always had a soft spot for the design.
Currently i have a Rare MINI GP but fancy going back to open top motoring, i have a seen a 08 2.0 Carbon Black Edition Sport near me for sale for just under 17K it has only 9k miles on it so i don't think it's a bad price at all.
Ideally i'm wanting a diesel TT but they are just far to expensive at the moment.
So are there any words of wisdom for me to pursue a Z4 over a TT? even though the 2.0 would be seriously underpowered compared to my GP i don't think i would miss it.
So if anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated.

Regards
Jeff

Hi Jeff, funny you have posted this as I have been looking at TT's and Z4's of late. With the TT's (later Models) they are still commanding heady prices, the cheapest I have found at Audi's dealers is around the 18K mark and getting on for 3 years old with 40k. Haven't really been looking at private sales. The Z4 you will have a much wider choice and personally would go for the 2.5 minimum engine wise. I think for yourself coming from a MINI GP (I had a standard Cooper S) you will really miss the go kart power if you went for a 2 litre 4cyl Zed. You should be able to pick up a nice 2 year old Zed for 17k with the 6cyl engine. My local dealer has this one which I have been to seen for trading in the 1 Series, but just not sure I need two Zeds lol :roll: and just gone and bought some new split rims for the 1er :roll:

Haven't driven the latest TT but I do have a soft spot for Audis having run two A3's in the past and dare I say think they are a little better built than the Beemers, going by my 1 Series anyways. I just think with the TT unless you can stretch to 19K you will be struggling to find a low mileage recent example.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
lingus

BMW other

Post by lingus »

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply, you could be right regarding 4 v 6 cyl
I suspect you are talking about the 2.0 tfsi in the TT although nice the torque in the diesel is highly desirable. maybe i would be using the z4 as a stop gap before the diesel comes down in price

Need to think carefully...
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

lingus wrote:Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply, you could be right regarding 4 v 6 cyl
I suspect you are talking about the 2.0 tfsi in the TT although nice the torque in the diesel is highly desirable. maybe i would be using the z4 as a stop gap before the diesel comes down in price

Need to think carefully...
I think you might find the TT diesels even more pricey lol. Funnily enough I have noticed the TT soft tops seem to be cheaper than the hard tops which I have been surprised at, not really sure about them though if your a butch guy lol :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lingus, I ran a full JCW from new for over 30,000 miles in 15 months.

The Z4's / TT's are a totally different kettle of fish and I would suggest you drive dealer examples of both the TT and Z4 to decide which is for you.

You can pick up clean Z4's with c 6 month remainder of 3 year warranty for much less than that private. I would save yourself a few grand if your looking for a car c 2years old and buy private.

nb for what its worth we ran 2 new shape TT convertables for 12 months at work when they first came out and I can't say I was keen. We had a Z4m on the fleet at the same time and that was always the more popular :wink:

You can pick up low mileage Z4m's with all the goodies and balance of warranty remaining for <£20k, I'd take one of them over a TT any day :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
lingus

BMW other

Post by lingus »

Z4M nice yes but high running cost, ultimately my goal is to have something that is cheaper to run, the GP does like to eat fuel when pushed just like the S2000/VXT i used to have :)
CollyB

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by CollyB »

Was talking to a buddy the other day who has a TT Quattro. I asked him how it handled in the snow we've had...perfect of course being 4wd. He thought it hilarious that my Z4's been stuck in the garage all week-couldn't even get it off the driveway! 1-0

He looks like a tarty big girls blouse when he's in his TT :D 1-1
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

CollyB wrote:He looks like a tarty big girls blouse when he's in his TT :D 1-1
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Image :devil: