Concerns about 3rd party Wind Deflectors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Paul

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Concerns about 3rd party Wind Deflectors

Post by Paul »

I'm this far (<-->) away from ordering the RoadsterSolutions WD, but before I did, I went on a search to quash one last fears I had regarding the Roll Hoop Covers, and the mention of BMW having to break them off and fit new ones to install the wind deflector.

I found this PDF:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/01% ... ehicle.pdf

That has this note:
Note:
The wind-break can be ordered as an optional extra with the vehicle. As the fixings for the wind-break are integrated in the roll-over bar trim panels, if the windbreak is fitted at a later date, the standard roll-over bar trim panels must be replaced with ones that incorporate the wind-break fixings.

I assume the Roadster Solutions wind deflector doesn't provide the "trim-panels" mentioned. If not, then how is the deflector secured? And at high speed, how secure is it?!

Thanks,

Paul...
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

The roadster solutions deflector is secured with rubber mountings, which are fixed to the roll over hoops with double sided tape. I have had the car up to 245kph (on autobahn cruises) with the roof down and wind blocker in. It does make some noise but is very secure.

I have posted a how to on another forum with pics of how to install and fix the blocker:

http://www.z4um.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3307

There is also one for the OEM blocker which also suggests replacing the roll hoop covers:

http://www.z4um.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1638

I would also like to say how helpful the guys at roadster solutions were.

Hope this helps you make up your mind.
MarkB2

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MarkB2 »

The RoadsterSolutions wind blocker uses double stick tape to mount the parts that hold the Plexiglas in place. The official BMW three piece wind blocker needs special roll hoop covers with mounting holes drilled in them. They come with the BMW kit. I have the BMW windblocker and I don't think it looks as aftermarketish as the one from RoadsterSolutions. That is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Paul

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Paul »

Thanks, I didn't realise there was a How To section! Very helpful!

Definately some food for thought there.

I prefer BMW's solution - in terms of having it integrated with the roll hoops, but would rather a clear screen rather than the mesh BMW supply... Hmmmm.

Thanks guys,

Paul...
John B

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by John B »

As a matter of interest I have just been to my dealer to have the BMW windblock system fitted - £208 for parts plus 1 + 1/2 hrs fitting. Around £350 total. Makes you wish it had been ordered at spec. - £160! Personally I prefer the professional appearance of the BMW item.
Rolando

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Rolando »

What do you all use to clear the plexiglass?
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Rolando wrote:What do you all use to clear the plexiglass?
PlastX from Meguiars
Daneborough

Z4 M roadster

Post by Daneborough »

I have the BMW mesh blocker on my Z3 but opted for Roadstersolutions clear alternative on my Z4. Took about 10 minutes to fit all three sections, looks good, and haven't experienced any problems at speed.
Junior Blue

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Plexiglass Wind Deflector and Cleaner

Post by Junior Blue »

Hi you all,

I bought the said wind deflector, I have found it very good, all apart from having to pay the import tax!

I have had no problem at speed, however I do have a problem with rattles, from the rollbar inserts. :head: The fitting is not snug enough! So I guess it is a take out and choc the glass a bit more.

I always use Autoglym products and the glass cleaner works well.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Re: Plexiglass Wind Deflector and Cleaner

Post by greg_ch »

Junior Blue wrote:I always use Autoglym products and the glass cleaner works well.
On the plastic windblocker?
Junior Blue

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by Junior Blue »

Yeap !! The Fast Glass