Not sure whether the 2006 facelift is worth it?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
thelama

blank.gif

Not sure whether the 2006 facelift is worth it?

Post by thelama »

Hey guys,

I had a look for something like this via the search but couldn't find it. If its been covered numerous times before then can you drop me the link and sorry for being a dumbass....! :head:

Anyways, I'm looking at getting a used z4 roadster. As per all new purchases there seems to be the age old decision between newer and less power or older and more power.

My price range is about 14k. For that it seems like i can get a pre2006 3.0i or a post2006 2.0i.

I guess I'm asking opinions on the older pre2006 cars. Do they have reliability issues? Is it worth getting the newer version and compromising on the "moah power". :dunce:

I read about the sticky steering and the rattling issues, is it safe to say that newer cars will potentially have a lower percentage of these type of problems?

Anyways, any help would be most welcome...

Cheers,
Lama.
Paza3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Paza3 »

mmm not sure about the 06 as no experience, but for me a sports car needs some grunt, (got the pre06 3.0), would not be happy at the lights :lol: if a mx-5 pulled up or 2.7 boxster, and I was sitting in the 2.0, about to get smoked :oops:

Its not just performance but the sound and overall driving experience, best suggestion is drive both, if you not into power then a no brainer , but from my limited experience I tend to feel the top of the range model eg, 3.0, M etc will be more desirable and hold value better when you come to resell as I dismissed all other model as it had to be the 3.0 for me, as I did not have the budget for the M.

Best of luck on your quest!!
oldandbold

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Pre-2006 Z4 3.0iSE Sport

Post by oldandbold »

I have one of these for the past 4 years - great car, lots of power but also refined in traffic. Driving within the national speed limits I have on occasion eked 42mpg out of it but in general motoring it averages about 33.6mpg. I haven't experienced the problems of rattle, satnav or hood operation I'm happy to say, although split rim wheels are showing signs of corrosion.
I am considering selling it as I have now retired and it would be within your budget if you are interested. I can let you have my e-mail address if you have want to follow up or just have any questions in general.
Last edited by oldandbold on Fri 02 Jul, 2010 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

oldandbold...
You have a PM.

A.
MalcZ4

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by MalcZ4 »

Paza3 wrote: would not be happy at the lights :lol: if a mx-5 pulled up or 2.7 boxster, and I was sitting in the 2.0, about to get smoked :oops:
I couldn't care less what I got smoked by - but I'm an old man. :?

Its not just performance but the sound and overall driving experience - to use your own words. :)
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

MalcZ4 wrote:
Paza3 wrote: would not be happy at the lights :lol: if a mx-5 pulled up or 2.7 boxster, and I was sitting in the 2.0, about to get smoked :oops:
I couldn't care less what I got smoked by - but I'm an old man. :? :)
Was that a spoonerism ?
The Sorceror

Other roadster

Post by The Sorceror »

Sorceror's Apprentice wrote:
MalcZ4 wrote:
I couldn't care less what I got smoked by - but I'm an old man. :? :)
Was that a spoonerism ?
I think the Sorceror's Apprentice has got him/herself into a bit of a muckin fuddle ... :roll: