Sticky Steering

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Edzed

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Sticky Steering

Post by Edzed »

The steering on my 2004 2.2 Z4 has developed a 'sticky' feel, making inputs a little jerky. The car has just had a major service and an MoT and nothing was picked up relating to this. I had forgotten to mention the problem at the dealers, so I guess I'm going to have to go back. It would, however, be handy to know if anyone out there has had a simialr problem and can give me an idea of what might be wrong and where I should start looking.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Possibly a wearing slipring?
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Edzed

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by Edzed »

Thanks. Not familiar with this. Am I right in presuming this is in the steering column? Is it a difficult item to replace?
pwo

Z4 roadster 2.5i

notchy steering

Post by pwo »

have a look on z4-forum.com as this is a common problem with early z4s . mine had it and was worse when the heater was on and it was hot . had the steering column and a sensor replaced by the local bmw dealer under warranty , it should have cost 1950 quid . now is great to drive ,
Edzed

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Sticky Steering

Post by Edzed »

Thanks pwo. I've taken your advice and read the string on z4-forum.com. Wow! I had no idea this was such a common problem with early Z4's. To be honest I hadn't picked up on the fact that this generally only manifests itself in hot weather, so I'll keep an eye on this and see if mine's the same. I've had the car from new and it's no longer covered by a warranty, so I feverntly hope that BMW action a recall on this, if they don't, I guess I'm gonna have to start saving!
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

I had the same problem, new pump and column. Under warranty in my case, will be expensive so try for goodwill.
maxman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maxman »

I have sold my Z3 with the intention of buying a 2004 3.0 Z4.The pre face lift model seems to have two major design flaws which when they go wrong cost a small fortune,ie steering colum becoming tight when hot and blocked roof drains causing roof motor to fail.
This in the long term has got to effect the values especially when it becomes more known.
Come on BMW pull your finger out and start a recall to rectify these faults.
I think i will give the Z4 a miss and go for a 2005 Honda s2000 unless i see a facelift 3.0 Z4 in my price range.
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hi

I have had 2 Z4 cars both 3.0l models, and both had sticky steering due to faulty racks. If I was in the market for another z4 it would have to be a z4m purley because the M divsion dumped those electronic servo racks.

regards

Nick
MalcZ4

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by MalcZ4 »

S54James wrote: I have had 2 Z4 cars both 3.0l models, and both had sticky steering due to faulty racks. If I was in the market for another z4 it would have to be a z4m purley because the M divsion dumped those electronic servo racks.
The electronic servo racks were replaced with a hydraulic system in 2007.

Click here. :rtm:
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

sticky steering

Post by S54James »

Hi

I just wondered if you solved your problem? as I have just purchased a 2005 model that has only done 24000 miles. Its a 3.0i se fully optioned. This now is showing the same problem after a long drive, a slight resistance when you move the steering for small corrections etc. I have owned the following Z4's : a 2003 model that was ok, a 2004 model sticky steering issue and now a 2005 model same problem (I give up) both our z3m and z4m where fine due to different steering set ups. I thought I give a 2005 model a go because I like the engine and wanted a auto. Now I have checked BMW parts OEM and it looks like all Z4 models except the M version have servo electric power steering.

Best regards

Nick
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

double post :head:
Last edited by gookah on Mon 07 Mar, 2011 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

MalcZ4 wrote:
The electronic servo racks were replaced with a hydraulic system in 2007.

Click here. :rtm:
The problem with that site is it describes every variant as having the same as the top model, eg the Z4 does 0-60 in less than 5 seconds.... What? all of them?. All Z4M's are fitted with the Carver hifi, but they're not,
and the steering rack is hydraulic after 2007, yes on the M models.
Although some modifications were made to reduce the problem they are still electronic. So not a site to go off really

My Z4 2.5 luckily did not have the sticky steering problem and was a 2004 version, mind you I normally had the heater on vents, and not footwell.
I have heard the problem is more pronounced with the heater on footwell as the electronics are adjacent to the vents and this heat is transferred causing the problem. There are equally a lot of cars that do not develop this problem, probably the majority.

I would consider taking out a 'lapsed' version of the BMW extended warranty, and then making a claim after 2-3 months when the fault first arises :wink: . Lapsed versions can be taken out as long as the car has been serviced within the timescales stated, and this does not have to have been done by BMW dealers.
However servicing has to be 'BMW' during warranty period.
Certainly cheaper than a possible £2000.
maxman wrote:I have sold my Z3 with the intention of buying a 2004 3.0 Z4.The pre face lift model seems to have two major design flaws which when they go wrong cost a small fortune,ie steering colum becoming tight when hot and blocked roof drains causing roof motor to fail.

The roof motor costs £330, which costs a lot less than 2 tyres, and is an easy DIY job, or you can even have it fitted by indy's for another £150.
You can pay the same for a Z3 roof.
You wouldn't stay away from a particular model because it might need tyres or a service, so why let this put you off, plus a lot have been replaced now.

Sticky steering... if you are unfortunate, you could sort it as above...

:thumb:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hi

Thanks for the response, I thought as much. The only Z4 that have non servo assist steering are the M models. I am a fully qulaified electrical control engineer, and after hours / days of research its looks like the moto asist assembly is to blame. Some say the units are not lubricated correctly and others say a cetain gear expands inside the gearbox casing. There is also a slip ring sensor (potentiometer) that can play up as well so this is why the dealers replace both. It also looks like the 2006 motor rack assembly has had a slight redesign from the revision of part numbers used. People say when they have had the servo asist changed the problem is cured? or I just trade it and go for a M version ... lets hope the new Z4 is not plaqued with the same problem as the units used look very similar. In the American forums there are hundreds of complaints mainly in the hotter climates etc etc. I will pop in my local dealer this week that I have a good relationship with and also will ask munich legends for a second opinion. But one thing is for certain if any Z4 owners are experiencing this issue you can be sure at some time you will be replacing the servo rack power assembly as the only true fix. I will keep you posted of my progress.

all the best

Nick