softtop care?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
alastairshearer6

Z4 roadster 3.0i

softtop care?

Post by alastairshearer6 »

after having my z4 roadster a few days i realised i dont have a clue how to care for the softtop.(as it is my 1st one)
has anybody got any advice on what products are best and how often these should be applied

cheers
Rory4711

M roadster S50

soft-top

Post by Rory4711 »

My Z is a recent acquisition as well, and for what it's worth until I get a feel for what's out there, what I did was to take a very stiff brush to the top, and then hoovered it. Looks fine

Rgds
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Here is a recent thread on soft top care to get you thinking.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25551

I used Autoglym 2 stage shampoo/waterproofer with good effects on the canvas. Also used Autoglym SRP to clear the milky rear screen.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I am not sure if the Z4 roof is made out of the same stuff as the Z3 one - BMW changed their cabrio care kit when the Z3 dropped out of favour. Anyone know if it is?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Elt

M roadster S50

Post by Elt »

Hi ive only recently got my z3m, the roof had some green in it so i had a look round and checked out some forums and found RENOVO softtop kit cleaner £21.99 + £4.99 on E BAY i've since used it and it's worked a treat, hope this helps.

Chris
Richi

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Richi »

Hi.

I have purcharsed the BMW renovator for soft tops in the past - doesn't specify any model on the bottle - but was disappointed with the results.

For the last 2 years I used a pure silicone spray - made by 3 in 1, the oil people - which is sold in an aerosol and available from my local hardware store for about £6:00.

I apply it two or three times a year to a clean dry hood and use a soft brush to distribute it evenly. The results are very good - hood looks darker and water beads perfectly when it rains.

Rich.
tonym

Z4 roadster 2.5i

soft top cleaner

Post by tonym »

I used a foam carpet cleaner on my z4 roof with good cleaning results. I then used an airosol water proofer from moffats that is for all out door fabrics great results very inexpensive.
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Autoglym 2 stage for me
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
dslee

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Cats.....

Post by dslee »

Had the same Q when I bought mine in April....cleaned and treated it (05 plate) and looks a treat. So here's a tip for cat lovers/haters.... Next door's cat took to sitting on the roof. How to get muddy paw prints and cat hair off? Get a dual-sided clothes brush: the rough side does the paw prints (gently!), the soft side is 'one way' and quite effective at getting cat-hairs off. Alternatively, some vaccum attachments have similar one-way cloth close to the nozzle. Alternatively, shoot the cat :)