European Road Trip 2010

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Dukeman

Z4 roadster 3.0i

European Road Trip 2010

Post by Dukeman »

I did a part trip last year and enjoyed it so much I aim to go again plus a bit more. I'm looking for some ideas of roads to use and any decent, reasonably priced hotels you can recommend.

My plan is to go to Belguim beer festival in Brussles followed by trip to near nurburgring and watch WSB and cheer on the 7 Brits fighting hard!

A few obligatory lap of the ring and then head on down towards St Moritz and do as many passes as feasibly possible heading over to Lake Como area where I intend to stay and chill for about 4 nights before returning home.

Any ideas that could pad my plan out would be great along with tips on what spares, if any to take other than bulbs etc. Biggest concern is the runflat situation! Should I carry some slime in case of puncture or just replace tyres if they puncture, never had a puncture since I've had it but it's likely given the pasting they are going to get.

Car in for service and check over next week. I go on 3rd Sept, returning on 16th.

Cheers Kim
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

I did a very similar trip last September http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22146

I still have the route (divided up into each day) saved as .itn files. Pm me if you'd like me to email them to you.

I hope you're as lucky with the weather as I was - I did all 3,000 miles roof down 8-)

My only advice would be not to book hotels too far in advance, I just booked the first 2 nights (including the 'ring) and winged it after that and had no problems - it's really easy to turn up somewhere and use TomTom to find a hotel etc. It'll give you more flexibility, and adds to the adventure :D

I wish I was doing it again this year :bawl:
Image Image

Seduced by the zed side
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Mmmmm -- Lake Como -- I'll be there in 3 weeks time. We like to stay in Menaggio and then its easy to get to Lugano etc.. The road from Menaggio to St Moritz is pretty good as well. Try to find time to visit Bellagio its superb.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Tricky just looked at those photos
:D
Fantastic :lol:

I need to do one of these
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

We are going to be driving :drive the Zed down to the Pyrenees in early September and would appreciate any recommendations for routes and accommodation :sunny We will be starting off from our house near Poitiers:cheers
Dukeman

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dukeman »

Thanks Tricky and Phil, yes hopefully weather will hold up but for nearly 2 weeks is asking a lot! Last year we did get lucky and top down all the way back up to Moenchengladbach then had to put it up on the way home.

I agree we don't want to set ourselves loads of miles to do then miss out on stuff so thanks for the advice on hotels, prebooked 3 nights at Brussels and Aremburg near the ring and may stay one more nigh close by as I seem to be getting laps that my mates are unable to use this year! I won't be going mad in any case given it's at the start of the trip.

Just got upgraded insurance and await to hear the verdict from the service, got upgraded maps off the web for the BMW satnav.

As for Como, I've been looking at Tremezzo and would love to go to Menaggio and Bellagio, looks fantatstic.

Cheers guys I'll hopefully post some pictures once done.

Kim
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

Home, Channel Tunnel, Valenciennes, Strasbourg, Wilderswil, Chur, (Stelvio Pass), Verona, Venice, Brescia, Strasbourg, Lille, Channel Tunnel, Home. 15th Aug to 28th Aug. Can't wait!! :drive
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

Sounds like you're all set Kim - hope you have as much fun as I did 8-)

Bellagio is a must - a great day out on the boats that depart from Como

The roads in Switzerland are fantastic - one of the passes that is lesser know but incredible is the Sustenpass - be sure to do that one, both my sig and avatar pics were taken on that road :drive

I hope you have great weather, look forward to the pics when you return :sunny
Image Image

Seduced by the zed side
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

TrickyZ1 wrote: The roads in Switzerland are fantastic - one of the passes that is lesser know but incredible is the Sustenpass - be sure to do that one, b
One of my favourite passes too :)
Not to busy with traffic and superb views...
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

I drove over the Sustenpass last year on my way back from Lake Maggiore, albeit not in the Zed, where we had been staying. I posted some photos on the Forum;

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

I have to agree with garyw and TrickyZ1, it's a 'must not miss road' with truly stunning views, which reaches 2240m above sea level at it's highest point.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Dukeman

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dukeman »

Well trip completed and all in good order. Zed did a great job and the SMG box faired well on the 'ring'! Can't believe I have just spent over half an hour doing a write up and posting pictures and the bl**dy thing dissapeared so I'll have to do it again. A couple of pics to be going on with!

Managed to fit in a WSB round!
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Great pics so far, especially the first one :D

Cant wait to see the rest, I like a good trip even if I'm only reading about it.