Contents of inspection 1 & 2 and roof check

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
wheelie

blank.gif

Contents of inspection 1 & 2 and roof check

Post by wheelie »

Guys,

Given the issues with drainage and the roof motor I would have expected this to be part of an inspection check.

Does anyone know if the drainage area under the hood and motor are checked under either of the inspections? If not I may request that BMW check, clean and drain it the next time its in for an inspection.
2006 Z4 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey
M suspension
M sport seats
M steering wheel
Sport pack
18" 108 star alloys
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

No, its not in the checks. and its' chargeable
The drain hole on the passenger side (UK car) is covered by the motor housing and isn't visible without removing the roof. and this is the important one to keep clear.
You can get to it via an inspection cover in the wheelarch liner in front of the rear wheels, but this is only the end of a tube that comes from the drain hole. I got a hoover on mine from underneath the first week I got the car, just to make sure it was clear, and I kept it clear, but my motor had already been immersed by then and took another 10 months to die. When I took it out, the motor housing was still full of water.

So unfortunately, just keeping the drains clear may be too late.
This is the analogy:
Basically it is like having the motor placed into a cup,
this cup containing the motor is then placed into a bucket,
the bucket has a drain hole which becomes blocked,
if you fill the bucket with enough water, it will flow into the cup,
if you then clear your drain hole in the bucket, the water will empty from the bucket, but your cup with the motor in it will stay full,
no amount of unblocking the drain hole and checking, will empty the cup.

The problem is that it may only take the drain hole to be blocked once for the damage to be done. If the water level rises enough to get into the plastic motor housing/soundproofing then the motor will remain immersed as there is no drain hole in the motor housing, clearing the main drain hole afterwards will not empty this water away from inside the housing, and the motor will slowly rust away. Obviously if the water has not reached this level in the first place then keeping it clear will prevent it happening.

Now I have sealed it better and keep the drain holes checked.

apparently 2006 onwards motors were sealed better, and drains were enlarged but they would still benefit from regular checks.

I check it really everytime I wash the car,just by looking at where the water is draining, If you point your hosepipe briefly at the rear of the roof when closed, some will run down between the fabric and the bodywork (usually at the rear quarter).
The water should trickle out under the side skirt just in front of the rear wheel,
You can also do it with the roof down and just pour a cupful of water into the void just behind the door shut, again it should trickle out under the side skirt. This cup test I do about once a month.
The passenger side (on a RHD vehicle) is where the motor is, so this is the most critical one to check.

sorry for the essay!!! :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
wheelie

blank.gif

Post by wheelie »

Wow thanks mate just what I needed :)
2006 Z4 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey
M suspension
M sport seats
M steering wheel
Sport pack
18" 108 star alloys