How do I take off Exhaust Manifold from Z4 2.0i

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
msharry

Z4 roadster 2.0i

How do I take off Exhaust Manifold from Z4 2.0i

Post by msharry »

Hi I'm really hoping one you can help me.

My mechanic has spotted a slight crack in my exhaust manifold which although not a problem yet would be good as new if welded now. I've bought the Z4 TIS and taking it off is simple enough. However, there's very little room to work with. Has anyone done this before on a 2.0i and did you have to take the engine out?
stevesace

blank.gif

Post by stevesace »

they are easy enough to do in place if you have access to an air rachet, plenty room around them, quite common for them to split & crack too.
msharry

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by msharry »

Thanks. My mechanic managed it OK in the end and a chap who makes stainless steel exhausts locally did a great job welding it, so hopefully it should be OK for a while yet. £200 altogether which is a load cheaper than BMW would have charged.
hernznorma

Z3 roadster 1.9

cracked exhaust manifold

Post by hernznorma »

Anyone have a problem with a cracked exhaust manifold. The
dealer says it's very common for the exhaust manifold to crack due to
heating and cooling. Wants $500 to change it.uurrggh..
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Just gone through this with Mrs ZC's 2.0 Z4:

The emissions light came on about 5 weeks ago as I was taking it to the indie I've started using in Leeds for its first Insp I service. He checked everything, including error codes and the actual exhaust emissions and just reset the error codes and said to keep an eye on it as it could just have been an intermittent problem.

Approx 150 miles later on comes the light again - error codes read - front O2 sensor so had it replaced as there was no sign of anything else being amiss.

Last Saturday went to Northumberland to celebrate Mrs ZC's and our son's birthdays - split the journey between Yorkshire and Scotland. The weather was atrocious and just before we got to the hotel I rounded a corner to find a lot of water on the road and caused an almighty splash. The next morning when we started the Z4 there was the sound of a slight blow from the front of the exhaust - cracked exhaust manifold!!!!!!!!!!! Possibly the cold water drenching it had got had caused the crack to open up so it could be heard.

Drove it back very carefully and dropped it off with the indie (Bankside Garage on Kirkstall Road) on Monday morning. They organised a cheap hire car from a company that shares their premises and off I went. Picked it up today and they only charged £108 (incl VAT and the hire car) for welding it so well pleased with that.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8