What to look for?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

What to look for?

Post by MickJ »

Had my Z3 2.8 '98 (less than 30k only) since March and it all looks immaculate now, looking at something else to play with, so have turned my attention to a Z4, either a 2.5 or 3.0, preferably an auto, what do I need to look out for (have noted that pre '06 hood motors can be iffy) in general?

TIA

Mick
adey

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by adey »

your right about the soft tops the motor gets waterlogged if the drain plugs don't get cleaned out regularly if the roof doesn't open in 10 seconds and closes in 10 seconds then the motor is on the way out, they tend to hesitate opening and close fine, rear springs will break for a past time and difficult to spot only way to see is take the wheel off, runflat tyres make the ride harsh and snatchy on cars with m suspension apart from that just check all electrics work,engines are normally alright on 6 cyl engines if there is a loud ticking noise and i mean loud then that will be the disa valve on the way out,and will need replacing asap they are a different beast to the z3 not so raw a little refined and quieter but handle like they are on rails, i have had 2 of each z3 and z4 and can't decide with i prefer
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Thanks for reply, appreciated, seem to be plenty on the market, fair few with low miles.