Z4 programmable functions scanner tool

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Ztew4rt

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Z4 programmable functions scanner tool

Post by Ztew4rt »

Hi. Forgive me as I am a newbie here, but is there a scanner tool that can be bought for a reasonable sum, that will allow not just the resetting of fault lights etc, but will allow programming of functions like auto door locking and those other options.

I just got my z4 second hand from a main dealer, but didn't know about the programmable options at the time, now my local dealer (not where I bought the car) wants to charge me £40 for pluging in the scanner, plus £8-95 for each item that is programmed!

I figured this must be something I could do myself?

Hope someone can help...
jimmithemoonlite

Z4 sDrive35iS

Re: Z4 programmable functions scanner tool

Post by jimmithemoonlite »

Hi,

Yes there is a tool called "carly for bmw" available from ebay and Amazon for £40-£50 but they are specific to either I.O.S. Or Android but cost the same.
Then go onto Google play or Apple app store and purchase the carly for bmw app PRO.
The app costs around £47, then just follow the installation instructions then you are ready to use your Apple or Android device which will list all the functions and parameters you can change.
Hope that helps

John
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I believe the IOS version requires a Bluetooth adaptor.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well I was sufficiently unimpressed with Carly Lite to not want to buy the Pro edition. It claimed to have read 3 out of a possible 33 ECUs on my car. INPA can manage 5, and that is pretty much all there is! The adapter I have doesn't seem to want to connect to an 07 plate 120d, but INPA should with the right adapter. It should also handle Z4s. For £50 including the adapter and various other software for programming, I think it is much better value for money. I am also looking at an Android version of INPA/EDIABAS at the moment, but it seems to be in its infancy, though after some fiddling I got it to read the error memories on my car.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I have the pro setup with my iphone, App was £48 and the Carly dongle £68. It's been faultless so far. I have programmed peoples roofs, cleared faults etc etc. Works very well on both Z3's and Z4's, It also has a very handy function for checking second hand cars for tamper etc.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I have carly pro on my samsung android phone. I have been able to code loads on the E85 Z4, and its very clear and easy to do.
It wouldn't code anything on the z3 which i hoped it would, and I cannot connect using a Samsung tablet which is a shame.
Not cheap though, I have the cable version and altogether it was about £80. but I can code whenever I want now.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I should add that when I was testing on Android, I was using my existing BMTechnic cable and adapter that I normally use with INPA on a PC, but with an OTG (On The Go) adapter cable from a Samsung tablet. Not sure why it couldn't read the other 2 ECUs when it was using exactly the same adapter. The other software I was testing was Deep OBD, which is free, but it fell over during the automated scanning procedure and I finished up writing a config file specific to my car to drive it, but the big plus is that it uses EDIABAS and the same ECU scripts as INPA under the covers. I am watching this project with interest.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc