Corroded Brake Pipes?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
dlp

Not specified

Corroded Brake Pipes?

Post by dlp »

Have a 2003 E85 and indie reports corroded pipes.

Anyone else had this and how much £££'s to fix/replace?
E85 3.0i Roadster
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Corroded Brake Pipes?

Post by geminimustang »

Our zed has an advisory on rear brake pipes.We took it to an indie for other work who commented on the pipes and quoted £200 to replace.However,i left it and put it into it's next MOT expecting it to fail.It passed,still an advisory.my advice,don't panic.
dlp

Not specified

Post by dlp »

Thanks I can't even see any for sale on Ebay!...seems lots of people get a bit confused between brake pipes/lines/hoses....
E85 3.0i Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

If its an advisory then I think I would be inclined to get it sorted sooner rather than later, just because it passes the MOT doesn't mean to say it will be OK until the next MOT. Not clever if you suddenly find you can't stop :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
dlp

Not specified

Post by dlp »

Cheers Tim, will try and find out costs....suspect this will be minimal but labour will push up the price....had a recommendation that the pipes should be replaced with kunifer piping [copper alloy] which will last longer than I will probably be keeping the car for....
E85 3.0i Roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The copper/alloy pipes are good...and as a DIY task it's not that difficult. The pipe can be bought in a roll and is easily shaped and bent without "kinking" if you're sensible. You can "copy" the layout of each section then have the ends fitted with the little connector nipples and stretched...or do it yourself with a tapered round smooth tool. The stuff is so soft that it easily stretches etc... Just make sure you put the locking nuts on first before the little nipples and stretch the end of the pipe. I've redone several cars myself..they're all pretty much the same fittings. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I do my own pipes too. If you buy a kit like this, you should have everything you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-PIPE-RE ... 0289320181
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good one Blades...that looks like an excellent kit...and a seriously good price compared to an indie.!!! Well done with your referral.. :rtm:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions