replace xenons with normal headlights?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Drewsif

blank.gif

replace xenons with normal headlights?

Post by Drewsif »

Hi guys,
Due to my lack of technological knowledge, I'm after some info. Is it possible to replace the xenon headlights on z4 2004 e86 for normal bulbs? Water got in, knackered the ballast. I replaced them but then same things happened. Will replace seals but cost me a fortune last time so want to see if I can do it a cheaper way. Bought the parts myself and got local garage to do it last time. cost about 300 quid all in for 1 headlight! Don't want to throw 600 at it really. Any options??? Would love them to 'look like' xenons as well. Any input appreciated.
"Drew, the teacher who cannot wait for the summer holidays! It's Zedtime!"
Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: replace xenons with normal headlights?

Post by Althulas »

I have some HID kits HB3&4 which I tried in my Z3M but took them due to the auwfull dispersal pattern they gave. If you can use them you can have them for a very cheap price.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Caledonian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Caledonian »

I had the water problem with the headlights on a Z4 I used to have. I was regularly drying them out with a hairdryer and all sorts. It was a BMW approved use car at the time so the dealer changed both the headlights under warranty. That said to me that there must have been a problem with the mouldings rather than just a failed seal. If you have the factory Xenons it would be a shame to get rid of them, I thought the standard lights I had were pretty useless. In fact that was how it all started. The headlights were fine till I opened them up to put in philips blue vision lamps and the condensation started to appear almost immediately.

I wasn't sure if the dealer would accept responsibility or not , but my plan B was going to dry them out, and try clear silicone sealant on the plastic access panels.
Drewsif

blank.gif

Post by Drewsif »

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies. What I'm wondering is can I take the xenon and ballast and all the expensive bits and just replace with xenon affect lights. Without putting whole new units in I don't think I'll ever be able to stop the condensation getting in so I'll just end up paying 600 quid to replace the xenons and have to do the same a few months later. Althulus-the HID kits you're talking about; do they just convert normal bulbs to xenons? Sorry I'm absolutely garbage at all this!!! :head:
"Drew, the teacher who cannot wait for the summer holidays! It's Zedtime!"
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Drewsif, yes you got it. The kit is a conversion. I don't know if they will work on you headlights because of self leveling mechanism but your welcome to drop over mine and try them if you wish.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The OP has a Z4 so the HB3/4 bulb fitment wouldn't fit a Z4 anyway. But the Z4 HID bulbs will be D2S or D1S and are a specific fitment. Short of changing the headlights you won't be easily swap to normal bulbs.

I have some genuine HELLA ballasts from an M5 for D2S bulbs that I'm selling but I think the Z4 may use the newer D1S/D3S type with ignitor boxes on the base of the bulb. Ebay often has 2nd hand ballasts if they are the other type, but usually the ballasts are pretty water resistant so it would have to be a lot of water getting in to cause this?