fog light bulb

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
skidkid

Z4 coupe 3.0si

fog light bulb

Post by skidkid »

I'm changing out my H11 fog light bulbs. From experience what is the brightest bulb or led I can get? Is higher wattage more important or forgot the word but it stands for light output?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: fog light bulb

Post by BladeRunner919 »

What are you hoping to achieve with a brighter bulb? You'll just get more glare in fog as the light reflects back off the fog, probably making it less effective rather than more.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Philips Xtreme Vision of the equivalent Osram are the only bulbs worth buying. Extra watts do not equate to more light on the road - just more dazzle for those approaching you.

Modern foglamps are the most useless accessory you can have - buy some decent headlamp bulbs if your are not HID.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

I thought fog lights were angled differently to avoid glare - not simply a reduced power / wattage?
mind you so many people around here seem to use fog lights as main lights, so perhaps you do need good bulbs in them :D
I have the Osram Nightstalker bulbs (in the headlights) and they seem very nice

Alasdair
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Foglights are lower and have a wider beam spread than headlights enabling you to find the edge of the road in thick fog. I have used mine quite a few times and they are particularly useful on unlit country roads with no catseyes. Fitting brighter bulbs actually makes things worse as more light is reflected back at you by the fog and you can't make out the edge of the road - similar to putting your high beams on.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
skidkid

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by skidkid »

Here in Hawaii we dont have much fog, use them mainly instead of hid's coming onto military bases.