Z4 advice prior to buying my car Saturday

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
sasker

blank

Z4 advice prior to buying my car Saturday

Post by sasker »

Hi I am going to look at a Z4 3.0 on Saturday

It's done around 95k and just been mot'd and 5k to next service

Water pump just been done and had new tyres a few months ago

Got all mot receipts but no service book. Do I need to be concerned about this as the person told me I can contact bmw and give them the vin number and they should be able to provide me with a service history from when it was serviced by them? Can bmw supply this and would it put anyone on here off buying it?

It is perfect colour and looks mint and under £4k.

I'm new to this forum so just wanted to ask other members advice with regard this not having a service history? And also any other things I need to look out for while looking around the vehicle?

Thanks

Stu
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Re: Z4 advice prior to buying my car Saturday

Post by billz »

For that price and mileage i wouldn't be too bothered about service history. I would just get it service and take it from there. So long as there doesn't seem to be any issues
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

If it's that easy to contact the dealers and get the history why can't the seller do that for you? :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

How much do you know about cars / mechanics?
If you are happy to do work yourself, then the risk is lower...
they are quite robust cars, but being able to spot potential issues before buying is key to getting a good one...
I bought my z3 3.0 for 3.5k in 2012 with no warranty / no test drive / no evidence of paperwork - but I bought it from the dealer my sister had sold it to, so knew that my mechanic had been looking after it during her ownership and it had simply sat on his forecourt since... The point is that cars might have no paperwork but be in fantastic condition - you just need something to give you confidence...

However worst case scenario and it is a bag of nails - what is the breaking value for a Z4? you probably couldn't lose very much!

Alasdair
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Not sure if BMW can reproduce the service history unless you happen know the dealership where it was done. As long as it isn't burning engine oil or making funny noises I wouldn't personally be that worried for that keen price. BMW technicians have told me that they consider that generation of 6 pot engines to be virtually indestructible and capable of withstanding a certain amount of servicing abuse. 95K not high mileage on that engine. :)
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

You need to check the roof works ok.as they are prone to roof motor failure due to the drain holes for the roof getting blocked.ask if the motor has been changed.also there is the issue of ' sticky steering.make sure when you drive it its smooth in operation .and no noises when you turn the wheel.
You can go on Z4 forum .com .loads more info
Moz
sasker

blank

Post by sasker »

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. :)
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Make sure you give it a good run, get up and down the gears a few times make sure the changes are smooth and positive and give it some welly. Make sure you get on at least a dual carriageway and get it up to a decent speed to make sure it tracks OK, and its nice and smooth. Mines got sat nav, so if this one does make sure it all works ok.

Good point Maurice made about the steering, so check that out, also check the roof goes up and down ok. when you get back off the run, leave it running and pop open the bonnet and have a good listen for any out of the ordinary noises. If you do have it get it serviced, minimum oil and filter change.

At that mileage you'll be lucky if its been to a BMW dealers to be serviced at all over the last few years. It's not a bad price TBH.

Other than that just give all the electric buttons a good prod to make sure everything works

I bought mine in January this year and its been brilliant.
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
sasker

blank

Post by sasker »

I traced service on bmw £1 minute service centre. It's had bmw servicing from 2003 to 2012 at several different bmw garages.

Owner bought it 2 years ago and only done 6k so not due for another one yet but I will be getting a full service done if I get it as after 2 years it is best to even though he has not used it much

Hopefully this time tomorrow I might have myself a z4
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Hope it goes well and you get the car but don't be afraid to walk away if unsure as there are lots of cars out there. If you do end up buying get some photos posted ASAP.
sasker

blank

Post by sasker »

freds dad wrote:Hope it goes well and you get the car but don't be afraid to walk away if unsure as there are lots of cars out there. If you do end up buying get some photos posted ASAP.

Thanks and yeah I'm going with a list of checks as per this forum and z4 forums so been great getting knowledge off other people before going to see it. If it's not right then will walk away but hoping it is as going to go in with a low offer and see if I can get myself a real bargain :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Deleted accidental duplication of post
Last edited by lightning on Sun 08 Feb, 2015 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Lower than £3500 for a Z4 3.0?

Wow values are falling. Any less is literally banger money. I wonder if values will ever turn, like they have for the 3.0 Z3 (although these are also still very cheap for what they are)

The OP has gone quiet. I wonder if he bought the car?
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

lightning wrote:Lower than £3500 for a Z4 3.0?

Wow values are falling. Any less is literally banger money. I wonder if values will ever turn, like they have for the 3.0 Z3 (although these are also still very cheap for what they are)

The OP has gone quiet. I wonder if he bought the car?
I think (unless I have missed something) the £3.5k above was my z3 - not a z4 :)

Alasdair
sasker

blank

Post by sasker »

Hi all

Yes I bought the car just not been on this forum for a few months.

I am very happy with the car and it got a full service and all fluids changed the day after I bought it.

I've fully cleaned the and reconditioned the roof and it looks mint now.

I've treated it to 4 new tyres, had the 108 wheels all sandblasted and powder coated in silver.

Just bought a new DISA this week to fit as mine developed the rattle and got a good price for new one

Going to do the vanos seals too next.

In the better weather I'll be taking the seats out and giving it a thorough deep clean inside and recondition all the leather seats too. Got the headlight kit from 3m to clean those too.

Looking forward to the better weather now to get the roof down.