boot not opening from remote

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
lurch 1

blank

boot not opening from remote

Post by lurch 1 »

Have noticed boot does not open using remote, it does open with key in lock, ther is no clicking sound from lock, is this solenoid? any ideas? I have read in manual that some memory functions can be lost after changing battery, Thanks JBD :D
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: boot not opening from remote

Post by DC »

I had pretty well the same problem and it was broken wires in the loom where it comes into the boot lid.
It looked fine until I stripped the outer cover back and found the breaks,
If that's your problem it's an easy fix, just solder up and insulate.
Mines not a high mileage but the boot does get opened and shut a lot.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I would agree with DC that it is probably the wiring loom going into the boot. I had the same problem and it was the wiring loom in my case.
lurch 1

blank

Post by lurch 1 »

Thanks for that information, I have several months warranty on car, I also noticed today the dealership have installed a small battery (compared to my Z3 3.0ltr) there looks to be about 2.5 inches of empty battery compartment? I dont think the cranking speed is what it should be? I noticed after driving home in car that they had not given me currant MOT certificate, phoned then and they said it was lost! but they would print out another one, sales advised me on 2 seperate occasions that MOT on car expires SEP 2015 and that they never sell a car with less than 6months MOT at point of sale. After asking for sales person to call me back and waiting 2 hours (he never phoned) I called and spoke to sales manager who advised me currant MOT expires start May 2015, I enquired how they managed to tax it etc and was advised they actually dont need certificate to tax. Told them I was unhappy with their performance and have been told to take car to my local main dealership near me when I am ready where they will MOT it. Other than this the car is very good, they renewed brake discs pads etc, BMW parts, its on Potenza runflats and I dont really like it. I will need check this small battery but I think Z3 one is about 75amps. thanks for help JBD :)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

You don't get a paper mot any more last one I had for
any of my cars was early last year same as road tax its all done on line

Peter2b
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

You do still get paper MOT Got one this month :)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Must be different down south
Peter2b
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

peter2b wrote:Must be different down south
Peter2b
I think it depends on the garage, but I'm sure if you ask for a copy of the mot certificate they should give you one.
Just so if you sell your car you can say to a buyer that you have all of the mot certificates to back up the mileage.
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

You don't get a MOT certificate, the paper you get is just a receipt that shows the mileage etc...As all this info is on the DVLA website you do not need a certificate to tax the vehicle.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

we've just had the boot not opening with the remote and it was the lock sticking with lack of use.WD40 on the lock,pressed it a few times to allow the WD40 to get in and around and it was fine.
lurch 1

blank

Post by lurch 1 »

Thanks for info, I used WD40 and yes it works! lack of use I think, just been out for run Z4 then Z3. Can anyone give input to car insurance? I have multi car policy, have my S-type and Z3 on it, when I went to add Z4 I wanted full year insurance but was told that I could only add it to multi car policy untill it expires which is only weeks away. I was also advised that I can not use any no claims that I have as it is used on other 2 cars, I would have thought that no claims would have been on as many cars as I own as I can only drive 1 car at a time, according to advisor no! Any advise please, thanks JBD :rtm:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

lurch 1 wrote:. Can anyone give input to car insurance? I have multi car policy, have my S-type and Z3 on it, when I went to add Z4 I wanted full year insurance but was told that I could only add it to multi car policy untill it expires which is only weeks away. I was also advised that I can not use any no claims that I have as it is used on other 2 cars, I would have thought that no claims would have been on as many cars as I own as I can only drive 1 car at a time, according to advisor no! Any advise please, thanks JBD :rtm:
Trouble with multi car policies are they are cheap to begin with then when the renewal comes they bump it up, however unlike all other companies that do exaclty the same, you now have every car's insurance expire on that same date.
Insurer's will not share no claims as even though you can only drive one at once, theft, fire or vandalism (especially) can happen to all 3, or even accidental damage from someone else's misfortune. You dont have to be driving a car to need to make a claim.....

Try the comparison sites, I always seem to get the best deals that way, and most companies although giving you zero NCB will take driving history into consideration and discount accordingly whilst it is being built up.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
lurch 1

blank

Post by lurch 1 »

Thanks for that, So maybe better to get individual policies for the 3 cars or keep multi car on Jag and Z3 and look else where for Z4, I have been driving since 1967 and never claimed crashed or had offence etc, now retired, The company I insured the Jag and Z3 were very good, I do less that 3K a year. I will do the search thingy and see what happens. JIM :rtm:
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

gookah wrote:
lurch 1 wrote:. Can anyone give input to car insurance? I have multi car policy, have my S-type and Z3 on it, when I went to add Z4 I wanted full year insurance but was told that I could only add it to multi car policy untill it expires which is only weeks away. I was also advised that I can not use any no claims that I have as it is used on other 2 cars, I would have thought that no claims would have been on as many cars as I own as I can only drive 1 car at a time, according to advisor no! Any advise please, thanks JBD :rtm:
Trouble with multi car policies are they are cheap to begin with then when the renewal comes they bump it up, however unlike all other companies that do exaclty the same, you now have every car's insurance expire on that same date.
Insurer's will not share no claims as even though you can only drive one at once, theft, fire or vandalism (especially) can happen to all 3, or even accidental damage from someone else's misfortune. You dont have to be driving a car to need to make a claim.....

Try the comparison sites, I always seem to get the best deals that way, and most companies although giving you zero NCB will take driving history into consideration and discount accordingly whilst it is being built up.
there are some companies who will give you full no claims on a second car - it seems though to vary from person to person when you phone - maybe worth phoning around and getting it this year if you can find such a company - then you have the paper evidence to move the car to another company next year and take full no claims with you... could save a lot of money.

Alasdair
lurch 1

blank

Post by lurch 1 »

I went back with same insurer after trying several others and settled on £550 for 3 cars, the S-type 3.0, Z3 3.0, and Z4 3.0 comprehensive and 4000mls year. I think that is OK. :D JBD