Z4 Sticky Steering

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Z3M Jason

M coupe S50

Z4 Sticky Steering

Post by Z3M Jason »

Hi guys,

Well I've been away for a good few years!! Excuse the lack of hello message, I'm in my iPhone and away having just got back in the Z fold with a 2004 Z4 3.0....Bought yesterday and realised on the way home it appears to have thus sticky steering problem :(

Initial solutions seem to be drill hole in Ali steering column and squirt lube in to lubricate plastic gears. NOT what I wanted to be doing with my fresh purchase!

I would really appreciate any help/tips/pics or anything to help me get my head round this. I'm still based in East Sussex, is anyone local to me that has experience with this?

Any help massively appreciated...

Jason :)
Z3M Coupe:- MAC Motoren Airbox, MAF Removed, Prospeed Full system with race cats, Full Dyno setup & Live Remap, 18" BBS LM's,
AC Schnitzer Race Coilovers, H&R Anti Roll Bars + Drop Links, Recaro Pole Position seats, Sparco Steering Wheel, Strut Brace, Porsche Calipers/CSL disc Conversion + Custom made rear discs, Braided Lines, 3.46 Hawthorn Motorsport 40% LSD diff and Digital Racelogic TC (To follow).
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Re: Z4 Sticky Steering

Post by billz »

Sorry can not help but we have no problems of sticky steering with ours, so it does suggest an issue with it. Hope you get it sorted.
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Hi Jason, this is a common an well documented prob on the e85 as mine is, due to the electronic steering . on later models 06 onwards bmw changed it ,so they dont seem to suffer .
Mine had it , in a mild form so I ended up drilling the column an I give it a lube every now an again, problem as been kept under control. If you bought from a bmw dealer take it back , only real solution is a column change, In the USA, some av been changed under warranty but in europe they seem to dismiss any claims,
Go on to the Z4 FORUM. There is a big thread re this problem ,
Good luck bud .
M
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I have read that the problem is exaggerated when the heater controls are in a certain position, this causes the problem to get worse. If it is a new purchase and under any sort of warranty get it fixed ASAP at the sellers expense.
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Thats true , the steering, when u have a problem gets worse with heat , ie heater on your feet or driving in hot climates, causing the the different materials used in the column gearbox to expand thus making the problem worse,
M
Z3M Jason

M coupe S50

Post by Z3M Jason »

Hi Maurice,
Thank you for the advice, I thought that's the situation!!
Where are you based? Anywhere in the south?
Might ask for a supervisory eye if I need to drill it!!

It is non existent when cold, first start but gets sticky after a few minutes. Wondered if it might be the bottom UJ?

Thanks,
Jason
Z3M Coupe:- MAC Motoren Airbox, MAF Removed, Prospeed Full system with race cats, Full Dyno setup & Live Remap, 18" BBS LM's,
AC Schnitzer Race Coilovers, H&R Anti Roll Bars + Drop Links, Recaro Pole Position seats, Sparco Steering Wheel, Strut Brace, Porsche Calipers/CSL disc Conversion + Custom made rear discs, Braided Lines, 3.46 Hawthorn Motorsport 40% LSD diff and Digital Racelogic TC (To follow).
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Hi J, sorry bud but im 10mls north of Manchester, you could try the uj's this has worked for some, but tbh for me an others drilling was the only thing that eased, the problem.
As I said have a look ont Z4 Forum, loads of info an somewhere a pic of where to drill, its a bit of a ball ache as u have to remove the covers under the steering col, and then contort yourself to drill , when i did mine, being an oldfart mi back seized and mrs M had to pull me out, lol
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

If you do end up drilling some have drilled an tapped the outer aluminium case and installed a grease nipple, but because im not to nimble I took the easier option an drilled a hole 1 or 2 mm diameter that was a nice tightish fit on the red extension nozzel as on wd40 and I pump a few squirts in now and again of a silicone based lub, because the drill is so small be carefull not to snap it, but being aluminium casing its pretty easy .
Not trying to scare you , but another common failure is the roof motor , located on passengers side hidden away in the rear wing, you need to keep the drain holes clear underneath otherwise the motor ends up sat in a water bath, again info on Z4 forum,
M
Z3M Jason

M coupe S50

Post by Z3M Jason »

M,

That's very helpful thank you!
I prefer the sound of a small hole and squirt lube in rather than grease nipples, at least then you can get lighter ones in as it were lol :)
Will research Z4 Forum now. Don't mind doing it myself just want to see exactly where to drill.
Cheers for the tip re roof motor.

Many thanks for the swift replies.
Jason