pop up in dash navi

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
coldfrez

Z4 roadster 2.5i

pop up in dash navi

Post by coldfrez »

Has anyone ever thought of modifying an existing pop up navi unit to work in the 2004 Z-4 dash???
Here is my thought. A pop up navigation unit from say....a Volvo S80. modify the unit so that only the OEM Volvo lift mechanism remains. install within the unit an aftermarket unit such as a Magellan, or Garmin, or even Tom Tom. install the unit into the center of the dash above the air vents. in theory it may work but there are a few questions.
1- Is there enough room behind the air vent duct?
2- could this physically be done?
3- Am I completely nuts?

Any input will be most appreciated.

This is the unit I saw on E-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-InDash-Po ... c9&vxp=mtr

I hope this actually works.......
Thank you all.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: pop up in dash navi

Post by Southernboy »

.......... The main issue is the curvature of the BMW dash top vs the lid on the unit you are considering. I can't comment on the space under the Z4 dash, but I do know the Z3 has a void in the center under the dash which would be suitable for such an installation. The problem arises with the mechanism which will need to hinge the Garmin (whatever) into a horizontal position when the lid is closed, and as the lid lifts, the gps unit will need to be raised into a vertical position so it can be seen and used. I gave up the idea and located a Garmin at the rear end of the center console in my Z3... after all, once you have entered the destination, one only needs to listen to the vocal instructions for directions.
Only way you're going to find out if there is space under there, is to get under the dash, or remove it from the car.... which may be necessary anyhow for fitting such a unit.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: pop up in dash navi

Post by gookah »

coldfrez wrote:Has anyone ever thought of modifying an existing pop up navi unit to work in the 2004 Z-4 dash???
Here is my thought. A pop up navigation unit from say....a Volvo S80. modify the unit so that only the OEM Volvo lift mechanism remains. install within the unit an aftermarket unit such as a Magellan, or Garmin, or even Tom Tom. install the unit into the center of the dash above the air vents. in theory it may work but there are a few questions.
1- Is there enough room behind the air vent duct?
2- could this physically be done?
3- Am I completely nuts?

Any input will be most appreciated.

This is the unit I saw on E-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-InDash-Po ... c9&vxp=mtr

I hope this actually works.......
Thank you all.
Why not get all the parts together that are already fitted to the Z4 with factory nav.
This has a pop up screen in the top of the dash to begin with. Plus you can get an interface which displays all your music tracks from an ipod.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..