What does "traction is enhanced" whilst in sport mode mean.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
G-A-R-Y

Z4 roadster 2.5i

What does "traction is enhanced" whilst in sport mode mean.

Post by G-A-R-Y »

I've just downloaded the BMW user manual in anticipation of a Z4 2.5i 54 plate purchase. I understand what sport mode does but it mentions in the manual "traction is enhanced" How does it do this.
Is the diff controlled electronically or does it just speed up traction control?

Also a little confused, is possible to operate the roof with the "remote" or only via the door locks.
Thanks again.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: What does "traction is enhanced" whilst in sport mode me

Post by gookah »

never heard of, or even experienced 'enhanced traction' in sport mode on the 2.5 z4 I owned.

in standard form, using the key in the door lock, the roof can only be opened, but not closed.
It can be programmed to close with the key in the lock by an Indy (BMW refuse to program the closing due to H&S) however buy yourself a gap tech remote. then it can be done remotely, without standing at the side of the car with a key in the door like a muppet (when you may as well get in and do it)
The Gaptech will allow you to press the key fob 3 times while you are walking to or from the car and the opening/closing happens automatically.
Also if you have left the car on the drive with the roof down and it starts raining, 3 clicks from in the house and the roof will close.
Gaptech is about £100, but it was the best thing I bought, unfortunately after spending the £25 on the indy look-like-a-muppet version... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
G-A-R-Y

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by G-A-R-Y »

Thanks again for taking the time to help, I may be getting confused but found the below in the user manual I downloaded.
How do you read it?

Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Hi, the only thing i can think of is that the treaction control is relaxed a little when the sport button is pressed, a bit like briefly pushing the DTC button?
regards
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The article you posted says "When Sport mode is selected, the engine responds more spontaneously, and traction control is enhanced.... Not very difficult to understand really... In "Sport Mode" you expect to get more traction control simply as a result of the more "spontaneous" accelerator response... if the accelerator response is quicker, the chance of wheel spin is increased, to counter that, the traction control is enhanced. Traction control is monitored by the ABS/DSC system, and prevents the wheels losing traction from pull away, in cornering and in braking etc. The diff has nothing to do with traction if it is an LSD type diff, which you will find is fitted to your car, or you can select a "diff lock" function as in a 4 X 4 - not likely in a Z4...
As far as the comment of "more direct steering" it implies the pressures in the power steering system are altered to ensure less "play" in the steering when moving the wheel......:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
G-A-R-Y

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by G-A-R-Y »

Sorry about going on about this but I'm just trying to work out what's happening.

Southernboy.

The manual does not say, "Traction Control is enhanced" it says "Traction is enhanced". I understand enhanced traction to be better grip.
Does this imply that without the "Sport button" depressed grip is moor poor, does the car suffer from wheels spin or loss of grip. Traction control/DSC just works, how can it work better when a button is pressed, this would imply that it wasn't working to it's full potential before said button was pressed..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Traction can only be enhanced with some change in the control function. It is enhanced as a requirement for the increased spontaneity of the acceleration...ie. it "balances" the twitchy accelerator function in sport mode. In "standard mode, the accelerator is not as "sharp"..that means traction via the control mechanisms will be comfortable with the less "spontaneous" accelerator in that mode. Traction cannot be changed any other way than fitting different compound tyres or adding greater weight to keep the rear from loosing traction under heavy acceleration. Enhanced traction is being used here as comfort to the driver that if he has a heavy foot in sport mode, the car systems will compensate for that.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions