Service intervals

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Jcc

blank

Service intervals

Post by Jcc »

I've done a bit of searching on here but can't find any absolute truths about servicing intervals on the Z4s.

I've passed up a couple now on the basis of fairly sparse service histories: 10 year old cars with a service every 17k miles but 3 year gaps between services - my assumption being that the oil changes should be more frequent than 3 yearly.

What's the general consensus on this please? (Just trying to buy a good 'un.)
Jcc

blank

Re: Service intervals

Post by Jcc »

Any thoughts from anyone?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You'd have to look in the manual for a Z4 for the actual recommendations, but for the Z3, BMW actually recommend an annual oil change if the service indicator doesn't tell you to take if for a service within the year. Service intervals will be longer on the Z4, so it might be that they recommend an oil change every couple of years. It really depends upon how much the car is being used - I don't change the oil in mine every year, but the service indicator is usually asking for a service every 14-18 months or so, so it is hardly worth putting fresh oil in for a few months.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

As far as I am aware, the UK service guidance for normal Z4s is that engine oil and oil filter changes need only take place when necessitated by the “service interval indicator” or two years if earlier. My wife’s BMW Mini regime is identical. This BMW indicator is said to be sufficiently sophisticated to differentiate between (and make time adjustments for) different usage i.e. long trips and/or short city style trips. The only proviso being that BMW approved, fully synthetic, so called “long-life” engine oil is used. Most owners of new cars would tend to stick religiously to this advice.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

my z4 e85 was two years or service interval display, whichever appeared earlier..
however if you do not do many miles and oil service will be best, as you don't need an inspection until the SI is reached if mileage is still a good way off.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Jcc

blank

Post by Jcc »

Okay thanks folks so in an ultra low mileage car we want to see an oil service 2 yearly as a minimum?