Z4 Hood Motors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
tribonnie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z4 Hood Motors

Post by tribonnie »

Hello, have decided to change my Z3 for a Z4. The only real issue i have found on the net about Z4's is water ingress into the cavity where the hood motors are. What is the best way, when looking at cars to buy, of checking the state of these motors. Thanks Richard
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Re: Z4 Hood Motors

Post by weegeoff »

If you have any issues with the roof motor try to knock the price down. Then you go to the Z4-forum.com there is a bloke in Durham who repair them and move them into the boot for £80. Look for the thread. Lots of people have had it done and not one complaint. See photos on the forum.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

tribonnie wrote:Hello, have decided to change my Z3 for a Z4. The only real issue i have found on the net about Z4's is water ingress into the cavity where the hood motors are. What is the best way, when looking at cars to buy, of checking the state of these motors. Thanks Richard
The motors are difficult to inspect as they are tucked away, I suppose raise/lower the good a few times and listen carefully to the motor for any unusual noises.

Also look out for broken rear springs, that is a common fault, the electric power steering rack can also cause issues when warm/hot, it gets sticky and the replacement racks are super expensive.
tribonnie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tribonnie »

Thanks for replies, good to know there isan easyfix. Still not sure to upgrade aslike the Z3. Richard
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

buy a Z4.
Then sell it on, so you can buy a z3 again, mark my words, so many people do this...... :D

I might add there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Z4, but its still not a Z3.

A Z3 gets under your skin, a Z4 is just a nice car.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..