How often to clean and reproof the hood?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

How often to clean and reproof the hood?

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

Just wondered how often you guys clean and reproof your hood? I did mine last July with the Autoglym kit and wash the hood off each weekend gently with a Zaino sponge and shampoo but not harshly. Do I wait until the water stops beading? also do I need to use anything to get the old proofer off before I clean and reproof again?

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
roofis303

blank.gif

Post by roofis303 »

i would also like to no this question as my foor is only a year old . and i bought the car in summer this year . the rain did used to bead of and run of the roof . but now it just seems to soak into the roof .
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

I am still waiting for the autoglym proofer to come off my roof so I can re-dye and its been over a year! :evil:

I didnt just do the one application of proofer though, on first application I let the roof sit for a day then reproofed. Repeated this twice, and as I said, after a year it's still beading.

Much to my distress as the roof needs a dye treatment, and there is no method of removing the proofing agent after application (quoted autoglym's rep on detailing world in that statemen).
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Once every six months for me. Clean and proof with BMW products.

Don't use soap to wash the roof - the soap attacks the proofer and you will need to reproof it sooner - I just give mine a good swooosh at the jetwash, being careful not to spray it directly at the window seals. :wink:

It is possible to remove the proofing agent by using the cleaner - the BMW one is a foam that you rub in - makes lots of lovely suds! :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
roofis303

blank.gif

Post by roofis303 »

cheers for the help guys . can u get this as a kit from ebay or do i have to buy it from bmw dealer .
RoloTomasi

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Mine's garaged, so annually seems to do it.

Post by RoloTomasi »

Annually seems to do it on mine, although I am lucky enough to have it garaged (and the office car park is under cover too).
-------------------------------
Rolo Tomasi
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks for the tips guys :) It must be 5 months since I proofed the hood however its still beading and I confess it gets a weekly shampoo. Really waiting for the proofer to wear off and then might consider dying and reproofing, I mean the roof not me :shock:

Tim.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I use the BMW product, have gone from twice a year to once, seems to last OK, also I never wash the hood
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Don't bother with the Hood Proofer made by Turtle Wax - it's a complete waste of money.. didn't even last a week! Big thumbs down for that stuff from me.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Just for future reference, if you're after cleaning or detailing products, visit Detailing World. It's frequented by many professional detailers and has a wealth of information on the products available today. :)
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

I have been looking at this discussion with some interest and have been wondering whether to relate our experiences - so here goes:

The Zed Owners first Z3 was 1st registered in May 2000 and was owned from Jan 01 to Oct 07. The Z4 was registered in Apr 07 and she has owned it from Oct 07. The 2.8 Z3 was 1st registered in Oct 99 and I bought it in Mar this year and in the boot was an unopened Autoglym roof kit dating from 2005. I was talking about getting a roof reviver kit as the Z3 is just starting to show some fading on the hood when my wife asked - why?

We have never had any issues with water leaks, not even the slightest traces of damp in any of the Zeds (touches all the wood within reach very quickly) and all the hoods have been occasionally "washed" with an angled power hose on a lower setting - no shampoo. My wife's opinion is that using cleaners, etc erodes the natural properties of the material and therefore over time re-proofing will have to be carried out more frequently - she changed to using only natural cleaning products some time ago after doing quite a bit of research (in the house NOT on the Zeds!).

Personally I just don't know which way to go - our hoods do not bead (not even the Z4) - but the thought of all the water beading and running off looks equally attractive. :?

IMHO I think that the question of whether the car is garaged, covered or out in the open might have a lot to do with this issue as presumably the more weathering the hood gets the more frequently it will need reviving :?
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

The BMW kit comes with a cleaner which I use just prior to proofing, the hood material is Mohair I believe, the fact that it is coloured at manufacture means that chemicals have been applied right from the start so I wouldn’t worry about spoiling the nature of the original material, if it is not beading then the material must be wet on the surface. Up to you if you want to take the risk :)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Zed Carer wrote:I have been looking at this discussion with some interest and have been wondering whether to relate our experiences - so here goes:

The Zed Owners first Z3 was 1st registered in May 2000 and was owned from Jan 01 to Oct 07. The Z4 was registered in Apr 07 and she has owned it from Oct 07. The 2.8 Z3 was 1st registered in Oct 99 and I bought it in Mar this year and in the boot was an unopened Autoglym roof kit dating from 2005. I was talking about getting a roof reviver kit as the Z3 is just starting to show some fading on the hood when my wife asked - why?

We have never had any issues with water leaks, not even the slightest traces of damp in any of the Zeds (touches all the wood within reach very quickly) and all the hoods have been occasionally "washed" with an angled power hose on a lower setting - no shampoo. My wife's opinion is that using cleaners, etc erodes the natural properties of the material and therefore over time re-proofing will have to be carried out more frequently - she changed to using only natural cleaning products some time ago after doing quite a bit of research (in the house NOT on the Zeds!).

Personally I just don't know which way to go - our hoods do not bead (not even the Z4) - but the thought of all the water beading and running off looks equally attractive. :?

IMHO I think that the question of whether the car is garaged, covered or out in the open might have a lot to do with this issue as presumably the more weathering the hood gets the more frequently it will need reviving :?
Hi Zed Carer,

Interesting comments, I'm starting too think not too wash the hood at all lol. I'm really unsure if I'm caring for my hood or slowly dissolving it lol. I have used the Autoglym cleaner and proofer kit once since I've had the Zed, I think I proofed the hood last August. I use the Zed for 2 weeks per month and is washed that weekend after use. I tend to rinse the hood off at an angle with a garden hose then use CarPlans shampoo for the whole car but with the hood I use a very fine Zaino sponge and wash the hood very gently using parallel strokes, I never scrub the hood at all. Once the whole car is shampooed I rinse off with a watering can and leave the hood to dry naturally. I guess using a shampoo on the hood is a no no however I think so long as your gentle you can do enough to lift the dirt off, seems OK anyways. Its still beading OK :)

Tim.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Zed Carer wrote:I have been looking at this discussion with some interest and have been wondering whether to relate our experiences - so here goes:

I think that reproofing even every year is unnecessary if garaged. Mine is garaged so is protected more than if it was left out in all weathers. I last reproofed mine 3 or 4 years ago with the BMW reproofer and like ZedCarer's mine has never had the slightest problem with wet or damp. I wouldn't even worry about it beading, that means nothing as it won't soak through due to the rubberized layer in the roof (its not just cloth) I never wash mine, just brush it with a clothes brush and give it a wipe with a damp leather after I've leathered the body work. For anybody thinking of reproofing for the first time watch out for drips on the bodywork as they really stain the paint work
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

I have to say i never wash my roof :( :( :( :( have had 5 mohair roofed cabs now and never washed one.
The roof was proofed with the auto glym kit about a year ago and is still beading as it did when done.The roof may occasionally be wiped with a damp cloth but it is actually hoovered more than anything to remove dust.
When i got the car the roof was soaking through when it rained it just absorbed instantly what hit it, the proofing makes a big difference and has no detriment that i can see to the material it's self