Dying hood

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
PooBear

blank.gif

Dying hood

Post by PooBear »

Hi guys,

I have heard a few people talk about re-dying their hood to darken it back up, does anyone know how one would go about this process and how much it will cost, etc?

Thanks! :)

Al
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

http://www.renovointernational.com/

Renovo gets mentioned alot as a hood cleaner/dye/proofer.
Not cheap but from what I have heard its the best. I'm going to give it a shot shortly.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Guys

offyourmarks uses this product at his detailing garage. He has done his own ///M with it.

Send him a pm and I'm sure he will give you details.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

Can recommend the renovo re-generator, used it myself last summer, cheapest place to buy seems ebay. My roof looked a bit faded, mainly over the frame cross members, looks great when done.

There are a few threads on the forum which i found useful, mainly:
1. give the roof a good full clean & hoover first.
2. undo the roof to take the tension off
3. Allow plenty time, dont rush it
4. Either mask up the car or keep a clean damp cloth very handy
5. You need a small step ladder & a good quality new 2" brush
6. needs to be warm but NOT sunny as it dries too quick
7. plan you covering route so as not to over paint edeges twice
8. let it dry for at least 3 hours

I gave mine 2 coats, left it for about 3 days then gave it one good coat of the renovo sealer, looked a bit patchy for about a week then evened out niceley.

Only downside i have found is since christmas i have been using my car daily in the cold weather & i have noticed some fading again over the cross members. So i'm going to let the waterproofer wear off as its still works 100% then give it a re coat again it in the warmer weather.
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Cheers John

yep - renovo is about the best on the market. Its a fairly long process to get a thorough, consistent and satisfactory fiinish - take your time, do it indoors and allow thorough drying between coats

post up some pics when you have done :)

best wishes

matt
PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

What will happen with the white sitching on my hood before I buy the kit?

I am hoping it will not effect this?
offyourmarks wrote:Cheers John

yep - renovo is about the best on the market. Its a fairly long process to get a thorough, consistent and satisfactory fiinish - take your time, do it indoors and allow thorough drying between coats

post up some pics when you have done :)

best wishes

matt
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I did mine with Renovo, lasted for a while but soon looks faded again. New roof I think :|
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

[quote="PooBear"]What will happen with the white sitching on my hood before I buy the kit?

I am hoping it will not effect this?

It goes black like the rest of the roof :D ,
The renovo is a black dye / paint goes on a bit thick and then soaks in.
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Ummm...I used shoe-dye (think it was suede to be specific) and then after that had dried used tent waterproofer to...funnily enough...waterproof the hood....took a couple of hours and £10!!!
maxman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maxman »

domross wrote:Ummm...I used shoe-dye (think it was suede to be specific) and then after that had dried used tent waterproofer to...funnily enough...waterproof the hood....took a couple of hours and £10!!!
Was it as shiny as army boots after all the hard work :D
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

Another tip is get one of those sticky rollers from dry cleaners to go over it after vacuuming the hood to lift out all the bits before you use Renovo - great stuff by the way - use it myself
Earpy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Earpy »

Guys if your hood is on its way out I would seriously recommend considering Jack Smith Trimmers of Swansea.

I had my MX5 hood replaced by him 2 years ago in mohair for £250 including the rear window! It was an awesome job and still looks brand new 2 years later.

I split my rear screen this morning on the Zed and gave him a ring. He quoted £100 for replacing it or £260 for a complete new mohair hood with screen fitted. Have a look here for lots of reviews from satisfied MX5 owners.

http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

He can do pretty much any soft top, he makes templates from old ones so they are identical and can do most colours.

Contact Details.
Rear of 158 St. Helens Avenue
Swansea
SA1 4NQ

01792 461 022

Cheers

James
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

when i bought my car he said he had just had a new roof fitted, so i have a nice clean, black hood with new clear rear windscreen. inside the car i found the card for the people that fitted the new roof

www.carhood.com.

cant complain at the quality of the roof or windscreen.
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

_wendy_ wrote:when i bought my car he said he had just had a new roof fitted, so i have a nice clean, black hood with new clear rear windscreen. inside the car i found the card for the people that fitted the new roof

www.carhood.com.

cant complain at the quality of the roof or windscreen.
that's the same company that installed the new hood on my car in October last year (I have a receipt for £600 for it) - again the quality, fitment etc is excellent! :)

Post by Guest »

I did my soft top with Renovo Octoberish last year.

Took my time and gave it 3 coats, did it in the garage and followed all the instructions. Treated afterwards with Auto Glym roof protector.

My observations:
Colour nowhere near as dark/rich as I expected - dark green but still a nice colour
Coverage/streaking - none - took my time and didn't overlap
Liquid - its like water so you need to mask up and I also covered the seats inside as I quickly noticed that the odd drip went through on to the seats.
However, only 6 months later I can see the difference, the car has been driven all winter so it's been out in the elements and a bird decided to leave me a gift and that has "bleached" out the Renovo, could see the original cream roof underneath (just patched up with a bit I had left over)
I wanted to see how my car would look with Green roof/Boston green bodywork and that has been achieved. Car is 10 yrs old now so little frays on roof so it's a new roof for me before next winter.