Door protection when parked?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
mc.d

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Door protection when parked?

Post by mc.d »

Hi All, just trying to find out if any of you have tried/use these? Or am i asking for trouble fitting them? :|
Door defenders (hope the photo attachment has worked :? ) if not heres a link to them.
http://www.autoregalia.co.uk/items/item ... id=4852410
Trying to get somthing that will help when parking in busy locations,like to here your comments/thoughts.

Thanks
MD
Attachments
HC_DOORDEFENDB1.jpg
HC_DOORDEFENDB1.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

They look like a good idea to me. There are few things that annoy me more than the inconsiderate b******s who think nothing of the damage they do to other peoples cars by banging their doors against yours in car parks etc.

Being slightly cynical though, I wonder how much damage will be caused when some thieving scrote tries to nick them while you are parked?

A mobile ARMCO exclusion zone would be good, but a little impractical.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Great idea I reckon although £80 for both sides of the car :shock: Only thing that would worry me trapping the cable in the door is you can bet someone might try a nick them swiftly and try and pull the cable out damaging the car. I haven't had my magnetic stone guards nicked yet so you might be OK, especially if they colour coded so less obvious for nicking.

I absolutely hate parking anywhere and will do all the usual things like parking on the end of a row, straddeling the bay white line as get as much distance to the next bay, parking on the otherside of a car park, drivesmy friends and ralatives nuts. I never park on any supermarket car park accept my local one as I know I can park in an area where no-one else parks :) and at work myself and a colleague usually park next to each other so we know we won't get door dings etc. At the end of the day you can only do so much but I have been fairly lucky over the years.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
mc.d

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by mc.d »

Thanks, Mouldy / Titantim
The theft side of it was a concern i had as well and as my dad pointed out, if they were used quite frequently would they eventually mark the sides of the door /wing if it had any dust or dirt on it?
Still not sure if i should get a side to try :?

MD
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

mc.d wrote:Thanks, Mouldy / Titantim
The theft side of it was a concern i had as well and as my dad pointed out, if they were used quite frequently would they eventually mark the sides of the door /wing if it had any dust or dirt on it?
Still not sure if i should get a side to try :?

MD
Hi mc.d,

There is always that possibility, when I looked at the pics I was expecting something a little more subtle but they do kind of stick out a mile lol. I do feel they are a little expensive but I guess its £70 per panel anyways to get dents taken out....tricky one.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
ribs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by ribs »

Its a idea but...... my car has already been keyed once, it might only take these for some 'no-brained, meat-head' to really have a go at it.

The Little Red Roadster
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

(Two posts from me this morning and both of them are adverts for Roadster Solutions.)

Have you seen these ( items 2 & 3) from Roadster Solutions. They look a little more subtle so less likely to get stolen plus there is the option to have them painted.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I need something as it's come to the point where I'm not taking my car to work thanks to some selfish/jealous inbred git who has put a slight vertical crease that is only visable in the light at an angle but annoyingly there. Bottom product in this link http://www.gbdriver.co.uk/acatalog/door ... twork.html looks good at 50 quid but problems with tealeafs/pikies and might make a vandal magnet. note to self to stop being so depressed about this as we have Zeds after all.
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

There are the BMW OEM side protectors for the Z3 - have 'Z3' lettering molded into them at the leading edge.

But they are permanently affixed. Guess you could see if magnetic tape would hold them on. Part number 82111470444

Pictured car doesn't have the third piece of the protector on the rear fenders on.
Attachments
82.png
82.png (6.34 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
02-14-07_1422.jpg
02-14-07_1422.jpg (84.99 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
02-14-07_1421.jpg
02-14-07_1421.jpg (69.24 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
1999 Z3 2.8 (Cosmos)
2000 M Coupe (Dakar)
545 M Sport

Waitey

M roadster S50

Post by Waitey »

Make your own......

Cut pipe lagging in half and glue some stick on magnets to it.

Bosh.
Ex owner of:
Clio 1.8 16v Track car, Clio 172, Westfield SEi (280bhp/tonne), 106 XSi 1.6, 106 GTi, Madza MX-5 BBR turbo (240bhp/tonne), 106 XSi 1.6 Track car, Audi TT 225

Current cars:

BMW Z3M 3.2 Roadster
Clio 172 Track car - For Sale

Not bad for a 21 year old jobless student!
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Kiwi,
The Z is my daily drive and I'm getting pretty pissed off at the dings in both my doors.
Never saw these before - do you have a supplier for the side moldings and how much do they go for?
Cheers
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

BonBon wrote:Kiwi,
The Z is my daily drive and I'm getting pretty pissed off at the dings in both my doors.
Never saw these before - do you have a supplier for the side moldings and how much do they go for?
Cheers
Hey Bonbon - the side mouldings are made by BMW so hopefully your local dealer can help you out. The part number is 82111470444.

No idea what your local price will be, but in the US they have a RRP of US$100, and the US parts site I use from time to time sells them for US$75:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... eid=214760

Good luck with it - think they would be really good if you could use magnetic tape on them so they weren't permanent ...
1999 Z3 2.8 (Cosmos)
2000 M Coupe (Dakar)
545 M Sport

tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

I have some estoril ones just like the oem ones but they are removable magnetic ones. I posted them on here a few years back. I bought them from somewhere in USA.

Tags