Original Spec

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Original Spec

Post by sapper0 »

Hi All. I am trying to find out the original (leaving the factory) spec of my car as it seems to have an interior spec that doesn't match up with any of those listed on the Z3 Family website. Close to the Bella Macchina Individual but without the wood, thank god. It has a complete history including all receipts from the second owner onwards and there is no paperwork detailing any customising. I can only conclude that it is either factory fitted, dealer fitted or otherwise by the original owner (July 99 Z3 Roadster 2.0l, 303 Cosmos Black, Chrome pack) Nothing usual there I hear you say but she has Mustard Yellow leather seats with black piping, gear shift gaiter and door panel inserts. It is this I can't find listed. It looks the biz and gets many admiring comments. The colour on the side cushion of the drivers seat is starting to lose its colour due to 117k of getting in and out. There is a colour kit from a German supplier that I have seen favourably discussed but I can't match the colour. All ideas gratefully received. Will post some pics when she has been cleaned. Thanks Pete :head:
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

have a look here there sre some very similar to your discription

http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_interior_M.htm
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

oops didnt realise it was called Family
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Original Spec

Post by sapper0 »

Hi Bill. That was the site I was referring to and you are right close but no cigar. Managed to find a picture.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The Z3 had quite an options list and when buying new you could spec pretty much any colour exterior and interior, extended leather, sports seats, wood etc. etc.

There were also a few special editions which had a few extras thrown in.

The Individual program was just that - there were some more unusual colours not available from the standard range and these cars were essentially built to the owners taste - for a price premium of course. :wink:

So is your zed done in standard colours? Or is it in some non-BMW colours?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Pop in to your nearlest dealer and ask them to print out a spec sheet for your car (VIN Number required), it will list the full spec of the car including any options.

HTH
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Original Spec

Post by sapper0 »

Hi All. As you advised I went to my nearest dealer, Stratstone in Chesterfield,armed with my V5. They were very helpful and printed out a copy of the original spec for me. Guess what? Everything matches up except the leather upholstery. Listed original is Anthracite cloth. So the Yellow leather must have been done by the dealer or added later. So really I am no further forward. Back to the drawing board methinks. Interestingly one of the ordered options is 818 Battery Switch. Anyone got any idea of what this is for and where it is located? Thanks Pete :?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Pete,

IIRC the battery switch is a disconnection switch which is removed after delivery, it allows safe transportation from the factory to the dealer.

HTH
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Original Spec

Post by sapper0 »

Hi. Thanks for the answer on the battery switch. Just the upholstery to sort out now> Thanks again all. I think this closes the thread. Pete
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Seats may either of been recovered or replaced entirely with sports seats from another car. You may be able tell if they are different seats by looking at the shape of them - though you'd probably need to see a pair of original cloth seats side by side with them to tell the difference. There were two styles of leather seats, but I think they are *both* different to the cloth.

The only other way I can think to tell is to remove the seats and look for build-date stickers on them. I was quite surprised by the number of stickers I found when I retrofitted my rollhoops, so it is highly likely that some components of the seats have these on them.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Original Spec

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

sapper0 wrote:Hi All. I am trying to find out the original (leaving the factory) spec of my car as it seems to have an interior spec that doesn't match up with any of those listed on the Z3 Family website. Close to the Bella Macchina Individual but without the wood, thank god. It has a complete history including all receipts from the second owner onwards and there is no paperwork detailing any customising. I can only conclude that it is either factory fitted, dealer fitted or otherwise by the original owner (July 99 Z3 Roadster 2.0l, 303 Cosmos Black, Chrome pack) Nothing usual there I hear you say but she has Mustard Yellow leather seats with black piping, gear shift gaiter and door panel inserts. It is this I can't find listed. It looks the biz and gets many admiring comments. The colour on the side cushion of the drivers seat is starting to lose its colour due to 117k of getting in and out. There is a colour kit from a German supplier that I have seen favourably discussed but I can't match the colour. All ideas gratefully received. Will post some pics when she has been cleaned. Thanks Pete :head:
:) We have a 2.0L Mora Metallic Individual which has Cream seats with Dark Red piping, Cream inserts in the door cards, Cream gear lever and brake gater and part of the steering in Cream too. It also has the M/// pack.
BMW seemed to produce limited editions to promote the Zed between 1999 & 2000.
Like yours, it gets a lot of admiring glances as it is such a beautiful colour. :D
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Original Spec

Post by sapper0 »

Hi Mike and Sandy. Your car looks great. I parked mine at Stratstone's today amongst all the expensive metal and whose car were the sales staff all looking at MINE!! Does make you feel good don't it?

I've accepted that Zed is "individual" and that the trim looks great no matter who fitted it along with the M// pack and Schnitzer lowered suspension. Who ever you were thanks. I'd upload some pics if I could suss out how to do it :dunce: have tried but failed. Cheers Pete
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Original Spec

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

I'd upload some pics if I could suss out how to do it :dunce: have tried but failed. Cheers Pete[/quote]

8-) Hi Pete,
Have you tried using 'photobucket', it is simple to use and useful too.
Just upload after signing up, then transfer using dropdown on each pic. :pc

sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Original Spec

Post by sapper0 »

Hi Both

Thanks for the tip I'll give it a shot. Need to take some new pictures. I ordered some Greased Lightening Showroom Shine today having read so much about it in the Forums. Should work really well on the Cosmos Black paint. Might wait until that arrives and has been used before trying to upload any pictures. Thanks again Pete
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Original Spec

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

8-) Only hope that when your car is like Greased Lightening, that you can get a grip when it comes to the David Bailey Bit. :lol:

Look forward to seeing the pics. :)