armorall wax and wheel sheilds

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

armorall wax and wheel sheilds

Post by Pistol968 »

Well it has been a few weeks since I first used both of these products so time I think for an update;

Wheel Shield - works well and is extremely easy to apply. Used it on to my Wife's Toyota IQ and the wheels have remained immaculate despite the rain and mud of late. The chrome wheels on my Jeep (don't judge me...) have similarly stayed spotless. The wheels on my Z did get covered in brake dust- partly due to several hard drives and also some fairly "used" brake pads but are very easy to clean- in fact this evening I just hosed them down and all of the dirt and brake dust just washed off!

Body Wax shield- Brilliant! (but with reservations..)

The good bits- creates a barrier with water beading qualities unlike any other wax I have used- including most top brands such as Autoglym, Maguirs, Zymol etc etc- spray the car with a hose and the water just runs off. The barrier also makes it extremely easy to remove insects- tar etc- just one wipe with a damp sponge or cloth gets them off.

I washed the car with normal car wash and as it says on the tin it seems to reinvigorate the wax to the point where it performs as good as it did when originally applied - it really is that good.

Bad points- not as satisfying as the more conventional waxes and does not create a nice creamy smooth feel to the paint although the shine is great

The worst point, in my experience may have been produced by a) it rained heavily shortly after I waxed the car and b) I think I was over zealous with the application of the wax- I put on too much. The result of these two things was that the wax "ran" from points where the wax had built up around areas like door handles, badges, mirror bases etc-. It caused unsightly runs of slightly darker liquid which then solidified slightly in to "goo"- this then had to be removed with some fairly vigorous rubbing with a damp cloth. I'm sure this can be eliminated by using less wax so lesson learned for next time.

Sum up is- brilliant wax that performs extremely well- highly recommended!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: armorall wax and wheel sheilds

Post by Z3cade »

I've just applied the wheels shield to my alloys last night but haven't tested it as yet..

Do you find the spray leaves a slightly satin finish? As mine don't seem to be as shiny or glass smooth..
Can you buff it up once it's dry? Or are you not ment to touch it?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

On the wheels you are not meant to touch it. I did not find that it left a satin finish although my wheels are not coloured like yours. If you use the body work wax- which I rate very highly- more so than the wheel one- you can buff it up after but again it does not seem to leave a nice creamy finish like "ordinary" waxes but the barrier it leaves is brilliant- mine is still beading water fantastically after 2-3 weeks and makes it so much easier to clean again once it does get dirty.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

That's a good idea, use the body wax on the wheels..

Where did you buy the wax from? As I've tryed a few places here in Peterborough and nowhere has any..
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

I got my wheel wax from Halfords- they only had one can and I haven't seen any there since and the body wax I got off the tinternet- E-bay I think from memory - couldn't find it anywhere. I think Amazon does it too. Good luck.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Funny you should say that.. I bought the wheel shield from halfords and there was only one can! :D

They must be testing it.. One can per store :lol:
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

I'm starting to feel guilty- may be we should pass them round..
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Don't think it would get round very far.. One application uses about half a can :lol:
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Two cans in Stratford-on-Avon ................................... Well one now ........ :wink:

I bought the body wax of Ebay ...... :)
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

If You are looking for the best wheel sealant then I swear by 3M Marine paste wax - been using it for years :)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 3763TK99bl
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Interested to hear how you guys get on with it and what you think.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Having applied this two weeks ago, I can honestly say that I am impressed with both products .............................. :)

The Body Wax works better with two coats put on a week apart as I have done the rear only as yet like this and the rain just
bobbles up and runs off fantastic as you drive above 50mph and more.

The Wheel Wax does exactly what it says it does, no more build up of brake dust and much much easyer to wash away any muck.

I am no expert when it comes to cleaning products and am no expert in car polishes but these products are just great and a pleasure to
use. Well impressed and I will be using them for some time to come, unless somebody invents an easyer way ........ :D
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Yep my body wax is still working brilliantly and thats after several washes but the wheel wax is starting to wear off a little- still very easy to clean though. might just use the body wax on the wheels from now on.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

After using the wheel shield I can say im not impressed.. Left my wheels with a satin finish and I had to clean them after a drive in the wet they were dirty.. :?

Probably the wax will be better for the wheels as I can buff up the finish? I don't think I want to try it on the body work though.. Will stick with meguires ultimate polish and wax