Dent Devil

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Dent Devil

Post by Dickyt »

I am just in the process of having the multiple car park door dings sorted on my Z3. I am using Dent Devils, as they corrected a nasty dent in my wife's car a few years back & did a great job.

I am having the car detailed / machine polished in a few weeks, and having lived with these dents for the past two years of my ownership I thought it's about time I got them done. Would be a shame to have the paintwork professionally detailed & leave them there.

I can't believe how many are there once you start looking - only little dings/dents, but lots of them. Clearly the previous owner suffered some car park abuse & either didn't notice or wasn't bothered. There are at least 5 in each door, and several in the wing sections each side just under the side vents, and one on the side/wing section of the bonnet. I suppose being low & having no rubbing strips, the Z3 is vulnerable to door dings.

Clearly he will be busy for a few hours!
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Dent Devil

Post by Pistol968 »

They usually charge per panel so it doesn't matter how many you have on each door....best make sure they agree to this before going ahead, if they don't there's plenty that do.

I agree these cars do seem to be particularly vunerable to parking dents, mine has a few on each door and rear wings, as did my last Z. Can't remember owning any other car that seemed to have as many even though some of my previous cars were older. I'm not totally convinced that Pigeons and squirrels aren't dancing on it during the night either - every time I look at it it seems to have another small scratch somewhere!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Handy tip if there are any in the rear panels - removing the tail lights completely gives access to the inside of the back portion of the rear wings - had one taken out of mine this way and it was thanks to this forum that I learned that trick, as the dent man had a go at it previously and couldn't find a way in.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

Pistol968 wrote:They usually charge per panel so it doesn't matter how many you have on each door....best make sure they agree to this before going ahead, if they don't there's plenty that do.

I agree these cars do seem to be particularly vunerable to parking dents, mine has a few on each door and rear wings, as did my last Z. Can't remember owning any other car that seemed to have as many even though some of my previous cars were older. I'm not totally convinced that Pigeons and squirrels aren't dancing on it during the night either - every time I look at it it seems to have another small scratch somewhere!
Yes, previously agreed £50 per panel - so in theory it should have been at least £200.00 for the 4 panels (5 including the bonnet) but did a deal with him for cash at £160.00.

He has just finished - took him about 1½ hrs. I am pretty impressed with the results, all dents completely gone. Was fascinating to watch him do some of them, some were tackled from behind (no pun intended), by various metal rods via the door skin. Others were pulled out using stick on pads which then had some sort of rivet type attachment onto which he placed a big metal pull rod. Was worried about marks, scratches - but it all looks fine. In any case, it's going for a full paintwork correction/detail in a weeks time.

I get what you mean about the pigeons & squirrels - although by my house it's the neighbors cats that seem to like wandering across mine....especially if I leave the roof down - little b@ggers