Bird Plop

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Bird Plop

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Had some bird plop on the bonnet of my Z last week ............................. :(
Washed it off but it has left a couple of nasty marks, allmost like a water mark in the paintwork.
Tried a few products to remove the marks, such as polish and wax but to no avail, it remains still......... :(

Any ideas on a product that will get them off chaps, please..... :?:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Bird Plop

Post by Titan »

If it was left for a long time it could be difficult to remove completely.
You could try Meguiar's Scratch-X. I had reasonable success with it.

Sent from m'iPhone using TappetTorque
Image :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Best bet is someone handy with a machine polisher. Depending in how bad its marked be careful with abrasive polishes as its all to easy to go through the clearcoat, which I did on the roof of my MINI :oops: . Scratch X as Terry mentioned is quite good but fairly mild in its cutting ability so might take some time if poloshing my hand.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

TitanTim wrote:Scratch X as Terry mentioned is quite good but fairly mild in its cutting ability so might take some time if poloshing my hand
Your'e supposed to polish the car not polosh your hand ...

Image :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Titan wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Scratch X as Terry mentioned is quite good but fairly mild in its cutting ability so might take some time if poloshing my hand
Your'e supposed to polish the car not polosh your hand ...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Its been a long day :bawl:

Tim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Then don't take her out again! :D

(sorry, but it had to be said)

Probably not much help now, but the sooner you get it off the better. You can get wipes that you can keep in the car for such occasions.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I've got the Autoglym bird dropping wipes in the boot of the car, never tried them yet so don't know if any good. Will have to park under a tree tomorrow :)

Tim.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Some gentle rubbing with one of the polishes made for removing oxidised paint off "old" cars seems to be effective. One generally finds them with a picture of a RED painted car with a "before" & "after" type label. They have considerable quantities of petroleum distilates in the mix, which isn't abrasive, but does have a mild solvent effect....and they work!!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Ok thats a start ....................... :)
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

I got bought these as a joke a while ago, but they are actually remarkably effective.

Edit: Just noticed Tim mentioned these above, well here you go, confirmation that they do work :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Glym-Bird- ... 340&sr=1-1
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It seems appropriate to carry some "plop wipes" and I'm sure one will use them...but will one use them to wipe up bird plop?? I can't see people coming out of a good lunch meeting, and minutely inspecting their cars for bird plop and then whipping out their Plop Wipes and begin giving their cars a clean in the parking lot...it would be too late by then anyway. Would one pull over immediately a splat hits the bonnet just to avoid a plop stain??
I think the obvious answer is one needs protection on the paintwork to the plop.
I recently posted an article by an Aussie company, which purports to have the problem solved...they have a polish which they claim is Plop Proof... If you google "Infinity Glare Plus" they provide a comprehensive write up on the issue.
Having experienced the dreaded "PLOP", I would be keen to read anyone else's remedies, experiences, and recommendations...apart from wipes, which I imagine will more often than not be used to wipe everything else and maybe, just the occaisional Plop...
I avoid trees, power lines and building overhangs...Not always a satisfactory choice as in summer here the daytime heat can hit 30.C ++++ And in even with the dubious benefits of windscreen sunshades, the damage to leather and plastics in the car will become apparent eventually, not to mention the discomfort of having ones butt and adjacent parts toasted on hot leather. Underground parking is one option, but not always available except in larger commercial centers. So what to do??
As an additional scourge to PLOP, the summer rains seasonally produce an abundance of other little nocturnal critters that end up attached to the winscreen and bonnet with equally irritating persistence, not to mention the disgusting "crunch" of a large locust at 70mph, and the yellow goo interspersed with carapace and wings which defy windscreen wash and wiper....Stopping at night on the roads anywhere in South Africa is tantamount to suicidal stupidity given the prevalence of desperate types willing to relieve one of possesions, car and frequently one's life too.
Wipes are good for fingers after munching on the hoof so to speak... I would like to find a practical surficant which will protect my paintwork, and rinse off easily with some water at the carwash, leaving the paitwork unmarked..
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

A giant white seagull relieved itself on my car (not the Z thank goodness) in a Welsh seaside town and I can only describe the mess it made as like having been “relieved upon” by a flying cow. Had to drive straight to a car wash to clear it.

I think with bird droppings – speed (of removal) is of the essence. My late father had a new silver 5 series in the early 1990s and had to have the roof resprayed under warranty which was blamed on bird droppings.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Southernboy wrote:It seems appropriate to carry some "plop wipes" and I'm sure one will use them...but will one use them to wipe up bird plop?? I can't see people coming out of a good lunch meeting, and minutely inspecting their cars for bird plop and then whipping out their Plop Wipes and begin giving their cars a clean in the parking lot...it would be too late by then anyway. Would one pull over immediately a splat hits the bonnet just to avoid a plop stain??
I think the obvious answer is one needs protection on the paintwork to the plop.
I recently posted an article by an Aussie company, which purports to have the problem solved...they have a polish which they claim is Plop Proof... If you google "Infinity Glare Plus" they provide a comprehensive write up on the issue.
Having experienced the dreaded "PLOP", I would be keen to read anyone else's remedies, experiences, and recommendations...apart from wipes, which I imagine will more often than not be used to wipe everything else and maybe, just the occaisional Plop...
I avoid trees, power lines and building overhangs...Not always a satisfactory choice as in summer here the daytime heat can hit 30.C ++++ And in even with the dubious benefits of windscreen sunshades, the damage to leather and plastics in the car will become apparent eventually, not to mention the discomfort of having ones butt and adjacent parts toasted on hot leather. Underground parking is one option, but not always available except in larger commercial centers. So what to do??
As an additional scourge to PLOP, the summer rains seasonally produce an abundance of other little nocturnal critters that end up attached to the winscreen and bonnet with equally irritating persistence, not to mention the disgusting "crunch" of a large locust at 70mph, and the yellow goo interspersed with carapace and wings which defy windscreen wash and wiper....Stopping at night on the roads anywhere in South Africa is tantamount to suicidal stupidity given the prevalence of desperate types willing to relieve one of possesions, car and frequently one's life too.
Wipes are good for fingers after munching on the hoof so to speak... I would like to find a practical surficant which will protect my paintwork, and rinse off easily with some water at the carwash, leaving the paitwork unmarked..
As daft as it sounds seriously I do :oops: I often have a quick walk around the car if its been parked up for a while and inspect for bird muck and will remove it. The stuff can be evil on modern water based paint finishes and only has be on the paintwork for a few hours to do its worst so its worth getting the stuff off, worse case scenario can be a respray. Applying paint sealants/waxes help but I've yet to find anything that lives upto the hype.

I saw a new VW Golf the other day with the bonnet absolutely plastered in bird droppings, must have been over 50 hits, I can't imagine the state the paintwork will be in.

Tim.
Spang257

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Spang257 »

Living in Nairn on the north Scottish coast as I do, seagull jobbees are all too common! Most of those that effect my zed happen during the early hours and as has already been mentioned, it's almost as if a herd of cows flew overhead and relieved themselves!

I really think that they get a kick out of watching people spend hours on their cars and then using them as target practice... And the noise they make - I'm sure they're laughing at us! I wouldn't mind but apparently they're protected too so retribution is out of the question...

There's a nest on my chimney... Bast8rds. :evil:

My first job every morning is to put the kettle on and then walk around the zed where it is parked in my back drive closely inspecting it for jobbee splats...

Before I get to drink my cup of tea, the offending marks have to be removed. If the polish is good, most of it will come off with a bit of water from the watering can - occasionally I need a bit of well wetted cloth. Whatever you do though, don't flippin' rub like the clappers (like my wife did, trying to do me a favour), gently does it...
"You can't hide a stick of broccoli in a glass of milk..."
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Stop messing around,

Get your car to mine, ill clear evidence then machine it out.
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.