PTFE verses Polish

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

PTFE verses Polish

Post by Bazza1 »

Guys&Dolls
tried to get a response about PTFE coating/polish there has to be somebody who has used this? results please what do you think Polish/Wax verses PTFE

Regards Bazza :?:
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Re: PTFE verses Polish

Post by billz »

I have used PTFE couldn't tell the difference, but apparently you can notice on dark colour cars.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

sorry i use dojo juice
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Hi Bazza1

Yes, I've used PTFE it. Very easy to use, wipe on and buff off. Gives a really good deep shine on my Aegean blue Zed.

Unfortunately I havn't used wax so can't compare directly but certainly better than the usual run of the mill polishes.

I've used 'X1 Shine and Seal' and found it very good. This is the video which convinced me to part with my hard earned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... MIAJo&NR=1

This is the sort of shine I get:

Cheers Dave
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

I thought PTFE was something that plumbers use?

Regards
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bazza1 »

Hi, Dave
I have seen the same vidoe thats why this thread was started? so it's true then looking at your car, it's suppose to last longer than waxing? think I will be tring this out,
and yes TR4man PTFE is a tape used by plumbers it's a man made substance used for many applications its basically a plastic coating / polymer? :rtm:

Regards Bazza
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Bazza1 wrote: think I will be tring this out, :rtm:
I thought it was worth £20..... and still do. Best of luck :)
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

hi bazza1
i have never used a ptfe base polish and would be intrested in the results.
but i have used many different types of wax polish from hard wax to liquid
and from zymol to mer and turtle wax.
but i have come accross simoniz original liquid wax and have been most pleased
with the results.

it produces great results with minimum effort (sounding like a selesman :) )
but like applying any final finish product there is a bit of prep work before hand.
a good wash a clay bar detail followed by a pre wax polish.
knowing how some zedders like to polish there pride and joy (and why not) :D :D
would you really want to apply a good wax polish every 3 years. :(
but i would be intrested to know how it goes.
cheers mick :D :D
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bazza1 »

Hi, Mick
nice looking Zed, I have tried mer & Turtle just trying to make life a little easier, how often do you wax the Zed? it's got a nice deep shine to it
am now even more confused :? having the front of the car blown in (stone chips) am now scared to put anything on it at the moment just trying to way up the best path to take.

Regards Bazza
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

hi bazza
depending when you had the paint done.
iwould let it go really hard for a few weeks before giving it some serious polish.
i wax our zed about every 2weeks though the months its on the road.
i would give the old simoniz a try see what you think .
i paid a bout £8 and have been pleased with the results :D
cheers mick :)
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bazza1 »

mick

thanks for reply I also have a black X3 so I will try the PTFE on that first and will then post the results when done :)
got to be worth risking £20 just to get peace of mind. :idea:

Regards
Bazza
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I've tried several options. Some are easier on the elbows and have a good finish - on black - but don't last. I found the PTFE to be less durable in that it washed off at the next car wash..1 week later. Also, it seemed to be easily "marked" by touch.

I've used a few expensive options like Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0...which is also a polymer...well...Ho hum...Not as good as the write-up on the container.
I've used other Meguiars products and a couple of Mothers offerings...all at £ 20 + per bottle...
The only product I haven't yet tried which might be promising is genuine Carnauba Wax...and only because I'm daunted by the work involved in it's use.

I most recently went for a SC Johnson product marketed under the name of "Rally" Restorative Wax. That was 3 weeks ago, since then the car has been gathering dust, rained on, and generally allowed to become really dirty / dust covered whilst I've been doing some mods. Yesterday I took it to the car wash - water jet / hand wash and dry. The finish I had achieved ith the Rally product was still as good as when I had done it 3 weeks previously... I was really pleased, since the application and buffing was a 4 hour job to begin with..but worth the effort. The cost locally was around £.3.00.
I used it primarily to elliminate the "swirls" from the surface...It comes in a can - 200ml - and is a creamy consistency. Application is a mission, as is buffing once dry. I did the entire application by hand in spite of having some really good machines that might have made it less tiring.
In summation...The more expensive doesn't necessarily equate to the best....The fancy bottles, and advertising costs are possibly 80% of the selling price. If you have a look at the pics of my car which I posted a few weeks back, you will see the results of the Rally product.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Like everyone been through the wonder products over the years with no real difference between them, some last longer than others. If you want a shine and protection best to do it regularly regardless of what you use. These days I just use Price Drop TVs showroom shine :lol: I find it brill stuff and can do the Zed in 20 mins, paintwork, rubber, glass and leaves a lovely glossy shine. I've given up acheing over which is the best product to use.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

and they look very smart to tim :D :D
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bazza1 »

Hi, Zedonist & Southern Boy

just checked out the Collinite 476 now really confused :?
thanks Southern Boy you have confirmed what somebody else had told me PTFE wont last long?

Regards Bazza
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Claying is really important as a prerequisite to waxing. It will remove and contaminants, and that "sandpaper" feel and look. Once that's been done, you will feel a distinctive "flatness" to the paint surface, which when waxed is rewarded by the finish.
Depending on your energy levels and enthusiasm, it sounds as if Collinite is a good product, offering a decent finish, and durability. The downside may be that if it is as durable as suggested, it may be a good "trap" for contaminants...Not having any tech literature to pass an informed opinion...
Ultimately it's a compromise between a "thick" coating of water / contaminant resistant material, (but which may be a "dirt trap" as it stays on), and something which is less durable, and washes off after a 3 or 4 washes.
Personally I like to do the polishing once every couple of months as it allows me a close up inspection of the overall state of the car surface including stone chips etc etc.
Some products like Sonax, which is excellent also comes with a "colour pen" which apparently "fills in" the smaller chips. This is useful since one can't be blowing the front end every few months (...as much as we might like that... :wink: )
The Sonax also comes in a "colour polish" ie..I have a bottle of black liquid and it's colour pen. My choice of Rally Restorative Wax was simply to get rid of the swirls, which the Sonax, Meguiairs etc. didn't do.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Bazza1 wrote:Hi, Dave
I have seen the same vidoe thats why this thread was started? so it's true then looking at your car, it's suppose to last longer than waxing? think I will be tring this out,
and yes TR4man PTFE is a tape used by plumbers it's a man made substance used for many applications its basically a plastic coating / polymer? :rtm:

Regards Bazza
PTFE has many uses - it's not actually a tape but and additive used for it's surface qualities such as low friction and extreme hydrophobicity - which is why amongst it's many uses it's familiar in plumbers tape and cookware.
For more detailed info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Ive been told that ceramic coat is the way to go..