Restoring Leather Handbrake & Gear Knob..

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Restoring Leather Handbrake & Gear Knob..

Post by Robin82 »

Greetings fellow ZED enthusiasts :wave

I've had a quick search but couldnt find anything relating to my specific problem.

Has anyone had any experience restoring their 'leather bits'?? My handbrake and gear knob are black leather and after 15 years of use are looking slightly tired. :(

The problem I have is that the 'top coat' of leather seems to have completly worn off in places. So no matter how much cleaning, leather restorer and buffing/polishing I do these worn parts remain dull and in contrast to the the 'unworn' shinier part of the leather (which makes sense as the top layer has worn off) :|

Does anyone know of any product/substance that would replace the top coating on the leather and restore that subtle shine? :flower:
PCSAM

blank

Re: Restoring Leather Handbrake & Gear Knob..

Post by PCSAM »

just swap them out with new leather ones mate ...... in the region of £20 to 25 on the bay ... :D
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

For just a gear knob and handbrake handle I would try something like this and do the steering wheel at the same time.

I’ve used simple black, shoe dye (not shoe polish) to hide small scratches here and there on the seats & door cards, then polished up with the usual leather conditioner type stuff. Has worked fine on my plain black interior. Anything more major on seats I would get a professional trimmer involved where they first clean/de-grease and then use special leather paint etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-Leath ... 0485310862
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

For gear knobs and handbrake I'd buy new off eBay.

Get a trimmer to sort the seats.

The 'BEAST' 666
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Yep they sell them on eBay.. Good quality too and cheap
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Try a scuffmaster kit, works on all sorts of leather, gearknobs, handbrake, steering wheel, seats etc. See the difference it can make in this thread.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

For the money I'd probably go new off eBay. There's a good selection of colour combos with stitching etc and as the others have said the quality is good too :D you'll just need some super glue
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Buy new, it will cost nearly as much to restore!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TOP-GAITERS-BO ... =668506186
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The link above to Top gaiters will buy you a really excellent quality item. Their workmanship is exceptional. I recently aquired a set of black leather with red stitching for my car, and I can say that the finish was above reproach. The stitching was perfectly straight along the line of the joins, no "loose threads" anywhere, and the leather quality is luxurious.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

Badman gee wrote:For gear knobs and handbrake I'd buy new off eBay.

Get a trimmer to sort the seats.
Z3cade wrote:Yep they sell them on eBay.. Good quality too and cheap
PCSAM wrote:just swap them out with new leather ones mate ...... in the region of £20 to 25 on the bay ... :D
('_')Z3 wrote:For the money I'd probably go new off eBay. There's a good selection of colour combos with stitching etc and as the others have said the quality is good too :D you'll just need some super glue
I just wanted to restore the original leather knob incase I swap it out when/if I ever come to sell. I've had a look on ebay and you're talking £40+ for an origianl leather BMW gear knob, found a few handbrake levers that look similar, but no original BMW levers mind.
Pierrick wrote:Buy new, it will cost nearly as much to restore!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TOP-GAITERS-BO ... =668506186
Southernboy wrote:The link above to Top gaiters will buy you a really excellent quality item. Their workmanship is exceptional. I recently aquired a set of black leather with red stitching for my car, and I can say that the finish was above reproach. The stitching was perfectly straight along the line of the joins, no "loose threads" anywhere, and the leather quality is luxurious.
Regards Gaiters its very tempting to swap out my original beige one.. especially for the M-tech stitching.. Which if I remember you have or did have this going on in your interior Southernbay.. If I did I'd have to go all the way and have all the trimmings match. Then I know this will lead to wanting to replace seats, door cards etc etc etc etc :roll:
g8jka wrote:Try a scuffmaster kit, works on all sorts of leather, gearknobs, handbrake, steering wheel, seats etc. See the difference it can make in this thread.
There is a certain enjoyment and satisfaction about restoring original bits n pieces...
Last edited by Robin82 on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

BTW thanks for the links guys very helpful... Some nice leather pieces in that ebay store, at the price I could buy and test them out and no great loss if I dont like them.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

What about this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M-E36-Sch ... 7675.l2557

I think it is original BMW. This one is sold but the seller might have more for sale.