Spray Paints?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Spray Paints?

Post by Bazza1 »

Guys
has anyone tried to spray scratches or stone chips with Aerosol cans? if you have how did it look? did you use a clear coat afterwards, preperation tips please
what grade papers to use how many coats of paint? any info would be appreciated.

Baz :colourful:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Spray Paints?

Post by Southernboy »

Careful...some paints react with other paints...it may wrinkle or disolve the paint of the car...so before you start, find an area where you can do a small test on..like under the front spoiler / bumper and check first...same with the clearcoat.
In my opinion, the best quality finish is from Rustoleum paints. The spray is very fine, and if you follow the directions, it won't run. It"dries" pretty quick too. Use 600 grit as the roughest paper, and finish with 1200 or finer. You can actually use 2000 on your existing painted surfaces - with water - and then use a good polish to finish and you wouldn't see the difference to the surrounding shine. Water is absolutely vital though..don't "dry" paper - ever!!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Bazza1 wrote:Guys
has anyone tried to spray scratches or stone chips with Aerosol cans? if you have how did it look? did you use a clear coat afterwards, preperation tips please
what grade papers to use how many coats of paint? any info would be appreciated.

Baz :colourful:
I was told stone chips are the hardest to do
Use a needle with touch up paint "it works"
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

I purchased a kit from Chipex, but fiddly but with care gives great results - not cheap though

http://www.chipex.co.uk/
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped