CERAMICLEAR

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

CERAMICLEAR

Post by Southernboy »

Intersting discussions about Ceramiclear*....it seems this is the ultimate automotive clearcoat. It is apparently a nano tech coating which is harder, with greater resistance to scratching and staining by acids and tree sap...it seems to be the product of choice recently with BMW, Merc, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc...There is only one supplier globally...their web addy is:- http://www.ppg.com
They have the monopoly.
More interesting are the forums discussing this "new" coating...I've read discussions on the aircraft, automotive and boating forums. There seems to be 2 schools of thought...(wasn't that unexpected.. :wink: ) They are either for or against, with a huge middle population who are totally ignorant of the discussion.... as in billions of us...
But like us and our roadsters, others are also looking for the ultimate cleaning / polishing / maintenance surface. Some flyboys were discussing the claims of it being so smooth that bugs wouldn't stick...the naysayer replied with "bugs stick to everything"...the smart reply was that "although bugs may well still stick to the coating, it would likeley be easier to clean and leave no blemishes." I eventually found the official PPG website and read up on their claims / descriptions etc. The current Ceramiclear product is a two part mix / apply type coating which has"artificially produced silica paricles (nano size)..these particles "migrate to the top of the coating" during the curing process...They form a 5 micron thick, hard surface which has greater scratch / mar / blemish resistance than conventional coatings, which are no harder than standard paint. The website claims that PPG are on the brink of offering a one part coating vs the current two part...but they specifically say it will be supplied to automotive manufacturing / assembly plants....not to your local bodyshop seems to be implied.
This leads to the possibility that one could have ones car re-finished with this Ceramiclear and would achieve a protective finish of superb duration....but only with the currently 2 part system...which your local bodyshop should be able to enquire about and get supplied through a wholsale autopaint outlet.
I did read about another potential source of info...DuPont Ceramic Coatings.....but that's the next website to research. :wink:

Worth the research if you're keen to know what's the current trend in autopaint surfaces. :rtm:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: CERAMICLEAR

Post by Gazza »

My Gold '68 Mustang had a Nano coating applied as the final stage of paint detailing last August.

It is scratch and scuff resistant and hasn't been polished or waxed since it was applied, I just wash and rinse the car, wipe the excess off with a silicon blade (I can hear the screams of horror now lol) and then dry with a microfibre cloth.

I know it was a one coat application sprayed onto a cloth and then wiped over the panels, no buffing at all. it does feel as smooth as glass.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: CERAMICLEAR

Post by Southernboy »

Be nice to see the coat up close when you've just cleaned it...I mean the quality of the shine...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions