SEATBELT GUIDE MAKEOVER

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

SEATBELT GUIDE MAKEOVER

Post by Southernboy »

My "old" seatbelt guides were looking a tad over polished...so I decided to give them a re-freshing...
I used Rustoleum plastic primer and Rustoleum "Touch"..Flat Black.

First off I used some Laquer Thinners on a microfibre cloth to clean the guide and remove any waxes or polish and pollutants...don't apply too much thinners so it drips anywhere...rather repeat the cleaning process several times until the cloth area no longer is stained by any dirt etc.
Next thing was to mask off the seat surrounding the guides...this is actually best done by getting the masking tape between the seat and the underside of the seatguide base...this will ensure the guide is totally isolated from the leather upholstery and a good job will result....the more time and effort you put into this aspect the better.
Next was to cover the surrounds and I used a couple of old towels..one draped over the top od the seat and held together like a womans headscarf below the guide whilst spraying...the other was draped over the seat and steeringwheel to prevent any fine paint being deposited anywhere. I did the same on the opposite side of the car.
First use the plastic primer...I applied 2 coats at 20 minute intervals and then allowed 30 minutes for the second coat to set...I then applied the black coat and repeated every 25 minutes and applied a total of 4 coats to both guides.
As you can see in the pics below, the results are excellent, and I have a new "matt" look with a really excellent tactile feel to the surface...must have something to do with the "Touch" part of the Rustoleum paint.

You might notice the stunning new red seatbelts I installed a couple of days ago too...It gives the Z3 interior a really "retro" look...like the early Jag cars of the late 40's and 50's when it was "standard" in red... :wink:
....and yes, the driver side guide is broken just above the lower fixing point...but I'm fitting my "Z" mod when I get them next week from the engravers....which will sort the broken guide and prevent any further breakages again. I prefer the polished alluminium which will have the "roadster engraved in black. Polished ally with a light coating of wax polish, looks more like good silver than chrome...

:cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: SEATBELT GUIDE MAKEOVER

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'm loving the red belts - have you got any other photos of them? Perhaps a shot of the interior with the belts plugged in?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'll get one posted tomorrow...weather has turned very windy and a tad cold... I bought the webbing off eBay.."dark red"..was around £9.00 for 10 meters..ex postage. I only used around 7 meters though...The most time consuming part was removing the 2 winder mechanisms from under the tower trims in the rear...requires the rear center storage box, the lateral side trims to be removed to get to the bolt holding them...the change over from black to red and stitching took 20 mins tops at the autotrimmer..then it was re-assembly of the rear again...I managed to salvage the BMW labels off the old black belts and had them stitched on at the ends where the belt bolts onto the side of the seat slide...so all in all a very satisfactory result...I was quite surprised how worn and aged the old belts looked when I got up close to them at the trimmers...
The seller on eBay (UK) has all the colours you could want. My project next weekend is fitting the new Bosch 4 hole injectors...Been reading up on the requirements to do the swap-over...only tool I'll need to loan from my mechanic is his small torque wrench to torque the fuel rail at the appropriate setting when I re-fit...so I'll collect it from him on friday next after hours and do the job on sunday...Would like to fit one of these in the boot to replace the OEM fitting...there's a couple going on eBay for around £1.00 - £3.00..and I like that it can be independently switched...I am always concious of the boot light being on when the boot lid is open..this way I can operate it independently of the circuit and have two extra little lights also with their switches...
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

That's a good idea - I was thinking of putting in a separate switch, but I prefer your idea.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....pic of red seatbelt...PLUGGED IN... :wink:

...and...I had a piece of this "carbon fiber" stick-on stuff left over and decided to cover my stone guards with it...a tad dusty...but you can see the result...
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:....pic of red seatbelt...PLUGGED IN... :wink:
I think that looks great. Nice job. :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cheers...I'm pleased with the "option" of Red vs Black...I imagine it will be more "maintenance"...but it's worth the uniqueness. :D
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:I imagine it will be more "maintenance"...but it's worth the uniqueness. :D
Even if they got really grubby, at £9 plus fitting you could replace them every couple of years without spending very much.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

presactly my thinking... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"