MINI COMPRESSOR "EARS"

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

MINI COMPRESSOR "EARS"

Post by Southernboy »

For those who have the BMW Mini air compressors, and have suffered the broken corner syndrome...here's a solution which is easy to apply. I first tried gluing..but it just isn't a valid solution with plastics...
I used 2mm aluminium plate, a sharp pointed scribing tool (set of school dividers)...marked the outline of the shape, cut out and filed it down to size...the plastic has 3 "posts" which are around 8mm diameter, and will comfortably accommodate a 3mm x 12mm self tapper...so I drilled a 2mm pilot hole into each of them and a 3mm hole in the ally...then I applied some 2 part epoxy to the surface of the plastic and fitted the ally cut out to the plastic and fitted 2 screws (i need to go but moe screws)...clamped them together with a small G clamp and a piece of 3mm fat iron bar on both the top of the ally and under the plastic so that it would ensure a good spread of pressure across the width. I left it overnight to set, and then used a fine file to finish the ally down to the edge of the plastic so it is identical in shape and size...I will fit the last screw and then coat the ally with some black paint to finish...It's pretty solid, and supports the plastic perfectly. I also have filed down the screw heads so they are not as pronounced.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: MINI COMPRESSOR "EARS"

Post by Boysie »

Barry do you ever sleep :lol:
or do you dream up these ideas whilst sleeping :lol: lol
keep up the good work
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

:roflmao: ....I got the compressor from John before he moved to Holland...and not having an M car, it doesn't have aN " OEM home" in my boot...So, decided to see where I could put it without it sliding around...so, made up a couple of brackets to fit into the boot where the OEM CD shuttle used to be..then noticed that both the ears of the compressor were cracked across one corner...so decided to sort them before they broke clean off...and came up with this re-inforcement...now all I need to do is fit the 2 brackets from the upper surface where the cd shuttle was, and the compressor will slide onto them and be suspended there...My BMW mechanic suggested I make a mounting system in the engine compartment alongside the fuse box and between it and the engine...I had a look at that, but that would require some serious dismantling of stuff in there...also it would need some kind of heat sheild etc etc...sounded like PT to me...
The fix I showed above just thickens up the ears with the 2mm alli...and prevents the plastic from breaking further or at all...It's easy enough to do, and will provide a longer life for the compressor as a utility...I don't have a spare wheel anymore...so I really need the thing in the car in the event...and it fits snugly behind the OEM carpet which housed the CD shuttle...with a bit of trimming etc...
I didn't want it anywhere at the widest part of the boot, because that would interfere with my golf clubs fitting in... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.......NOW COMPLETED "FIX" AND PAINTED......

"Normal is overrated"