MEET THE BOLSTER "SPYDER"

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

MEET THE BOLSTER "SPYDER"

Post by Southernboy »

With the "special" adhesive being delivered via DHL tomorrow morning, here is the first design of the "Bolster Spyder". This little chap will have the adhesive applied to it and then fitted to my Z3 for the next 6 months. The shape will require some fine tuning which I can only achieve once I can position it and have it stay in position without the need of multiple hands. It is of a size and shape which will allow it to be used on practically any vehicle seat bolster whilst being suitable for LHD or RHD cars by simply rotating the Spyder through 180 degrees.
The material in the pic below, is Vinyl (faux leather) which has the property of being slightly elastic laterally and flexible. The material is "heavy" duty .9mm, and a thinner vinyl is commonly available which is .6mm thick. I will be testing both options over a 6 month period with the car interior temperature allowed to raise to the 50 C.+ which is common here in S.A. as well as the durability / stability of "general daily driver" usage.
Since the Bolster Spyder is of a size that it will be able to be used on any vehicle with leather or Vinyl upholstery, it will have a wide acceptance with any car owner interested in preserving the interior finish of the car whether for re-sale purposes or for aesthetic preservation and avoidance of the bolster deterioration which is commonly encountered.
At this time the estimated price of a packaged set of 2, but excluding postage will be around £.20. This means that for a mere £10.00 per seat per year, one will be able to preserve the seat bolsters in an as new condition indefinitely.
Finally, it is specifically designed to be removed and re-positioned multiple times much like a "Post-it" sticker, without any adhesive residue or negative effect on the seat upholstery material. This means it can be removed when interior cleaning of seats is required and then replaced, or if the car is on "show" the Spyder can be removed and then replaced afterwards.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: MEET THE BOLSTER "SPYDER"

Post by seasurfer »

Looking Good SB - will these be available in other colours and for the thigh bolsters or just the sides :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi SS.. They should fit both the "waist" and "shoulder" although I must add, I am focussed on the waist bolster. However, the shoulder / upper bolster is essentially a very similar shape, so there is no reason why it wouldn't work there too. Do the "upper" bolsters get chafed by bra strap adjusters.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Err...yes. I must ask them to lean forward a little when they remove them :lol:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Bonzo wrote:Err...yes. I must ask them to lean forward a little when they remove them :lol:

When THEY !!!! you must make a habbit of it :shock:

I think the damage is caused by lazy a***'s wearing jeans with studs and slithering in to their seats instead of getting in properly (on the side bolsters), not sure how the thigh ones get damaged, do you? Im sure Bonzo will have a reputable explanation, maybe :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage