WANTED - Z1 / Z3 / Z4 TEST SUBJECTS.

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

WANTED - Z1 / Z3 / Z4 TEST SUBJECTS.

Post by Southernboy »

I am looking for 3 "test" cars to apply the Bolster protector to. I would like the persons that are willing to apply them in their cars to have bolsters that are currently in good condition, and would like to maintain them in that good condition. They must be prepared to apply the protector for at least 6 months or more. I would like to establish the durability of the protector under "normal" car care / use conditions. By normal I mean the normal cleaning, use and maintenance of the car interior. The protector is removable and replaceable and will not leave any adhesive residue on the surface of the leather upholstery. I would like to establish the performance in the climatic conditions of the UK or any other country where the weather is both cold and damp.
The protector can be applied to the seat bolster without any surface preparation / cleaning etc. Bear in mind that any "loose" surface coating etc is likely to attach to the adhesive on the protector when removing it, so be sure that you are comfortable with that and that any loose surface paint / coating may detach. Also, the adhesive will not discolour or affect the general condition of the leather. You may find that the leather under the protector will stay clean, and the line of the edge may become distinct on removal of the protector due to dirt / dust which you can easily wipe away before re-fitting the protector. Re-fitting the protector to a freshly treated / cleaned seat where a leather "polish" has been used is not recommended since the nature of the polishes are waxy and the adhesive will not attach as it should. I would recommend that the leather treatment of the seat be done after the protector has been fitted.
The only condition I make for any prospective volunteers is they pay the cost of postage. £.4.50.
Please PM me if you are interested in receiving a "test" protector.
Below is a pic of the item fitted into my car. As you can see it covers the normally damaged area completely. I will upload a short video later onto Youtube and provide a link where anyone interested can see the item applied and removed and re-applied. At this time the protector is only available in black as a "test" piece, but all being good, it will become available in beige, grey and red too.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: WANTED - Z1 / Z3 / Z4 TEST SUBJECTS.

Post by stupot50 »

I'm struggling to work out why they are shaped like they are :?
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Probably because you cannot put a solid/flat piece of material on a curved surface without wrinkles :D although I could think of some shapes which would cool :D

We can test one of the zeep for you if nobody is willing to test one on their zed, and that would get some stick :D do they work cloth seats - don't laugh! its a serious question, I think! (somebody asked me)
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi SS..
You're right about the shape being a result of the complex curves on a seat bolster. A solid piece will not stay flat without folds / wrinkles.
Regarding fabric seats, I don't imagine it would be very effective since the adhesive backing would remove fabric fibers and soon lose it's stickyness. I thing fabric upholstery is best treated by sewing on "elbow" patches... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions