Re-dying seats

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
das930

M coupe S50

Re-dying seats

Post by das930 »

I am looking to re-dye a set of m roadster seats they are blue and black but I wish to have them all black.
Anyone had any experience with this
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Re-dying seats

Post by fish »

Hi,
I have black and blue seats (sport edition)....When I got my car, the blue was "back to raw leather" in almost a zorro slash where someone had obviously cleaned it with something really harsh....I got some "Topaz blue" from Glipton Leather care limited and followed the instructions to a T.....the result was perfect....you would never know...it matched in 100%.....I would have to dig out who I actually got it from, but the manufacturer is Glipton....

This is where I got it from....http://www.bespokeleathering.com/

I did find an american video of a guy changing a seat from red to black I think....it was the same process of building the dye up....

Are you not better trying to sell your black& blue seats to someone who wants them as is and buy some new/used black ones from a breaker ?

Ian
das930

M coupe S50

Post by das930 »

I finally have had some time to sort seats and thought i would post some pictures of progress
the first job i done was to change seat belt retainer they are only 15.26 to buy from bmw . I followed instructions from another members thread that were first class and it is quite easy to do and at the price of the new bit could not see the point in making a repair
photos of worst seat pre starting
first i sanded the seat using a extra fine pad
I then filled all worn areas with filler supplied
The seat was then rubbed down using 1200 gauge paper and cleaned using leather cleaner supplied
The dye was applied using a sponge for the first two coats then a air brush for a further two, the air brush did not give a better finish it was just quicker to do, i then applied three coats of satin lacquer using the air brush (you do not have to apply the lacquer but it is meant to give a harder wearing surface. This takes 7 days to fully harden and when it has i will apply the leather cream treatment to make leather nice and supple and add more protection
the total cost of the kit i brought from dynamix leather dyes was £114 inc postage and included
enough schwarz black to do both the whole interior in the roadster and the black parts in the coupe
enough imola red to do the coupe
50ml pure putty
250ml leather boost
250ml deep clean
250ml leather coating
airbrush,sandpaper,cloths and sponges
Pleased with result and looking forward to getting in the car then i can sell the re trimmed items that came with it
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Looks great Dale, well worth the effort.
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Great job there…the laquer gives a nice shine, great job….you should list the supplier…I was going to re-do the black on mine…

cheers

Ian

Doh..just spotted it..Dynamix Leather….
Last edited by fish on Mon 27 Jan, 2014 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I was dubious when I heard of your plan to DIY change the colour, but that result really is excellent. :)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Das,

Your seats look superb, how durable is the dye? Will it be just a good as the original colour?
das930

M coupe S50

Post by das930 »

The colour match was perfect
Will be as durable as original,even now the leather is soft and will be even more so when it has cured in seven days and I apply leather feed
Would highly recommend products they are water based so makes it easier to apply wash equipment ext
I feel it is possible for Anyone to get good finish as long as they take there time and don't rush
Dye has very good coverage and I also feel a colour change from dark to light would be achieved if time is taken to build up coats lightly .
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

They look familiar!
Very well done! Great result!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Results are fantastic!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Looks great!

My Z3M is grey/black interior, but has too much light grey so I dyed the centre console black with some I got off ebay. It went on ridiculously easily, the coverage is pretty much one-coat to get it jet-black, it dried pretty fast and then just buff off the excess. It still looks great now and you cannot tell it's been done IMO. It helps that it's not sat on and subject to heavier use like a seat though!
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I had a go this afternoon on my drivers bolster as it was looking the worst for wear. while I was applying the dye with the sponge I was getting lots of streaks. It was probably down to my technique, I only sanded on the rough areas and applied the dye over the bolster but ended up rubbing most of the stuff off as I was getting lots of streaks. The video demonstrations on the Leder pfledge web site make the process look so easy http://www.leder-info.de/index.php/Videos_about_leather.

If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage