Z3 Mirror base

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 Mirror base

Post by Southernboy »

Does anyone recall a post on the forum describing a wing mirror base replacement alternative. I seem to recall the person who was doing this may have been in Holland. For some reason I seem to think he was offering them made out of a corrosion free hard plastic type material??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3 Mirror base

Post by Captain »

Hi Barry, I've got a base from an original mirror which was broken, you welcome to it, it's the passenger side.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

PM sent... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... anyone else have one of these in his garage gathering dust???... Driver side would be welcome... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Barry

Back in the summer I caught my drivers side mirror, I bought another one from dapc as he was breaking his Z3. I then refurb'd prior to fitting on my car. 'Somewhere' kicking around in my garage is my original base (but just base only). If I can find it you are more than welcome to have it. I'll have a search when I've had my brekky.

Cheers Pete

PS.......how is that Z coming along, not seen it yet?
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Pete
thankyou very much...Let me know if / when you find it...
Re my "new" Z3...I haven't done anything to it as yet apart from removing the OEM door mirrors, and which have already arrived in the UK with their new owner. I will be removing the dash tomorrow and then stripping the instrument cluster and passenger airbag sections off. The existing black "extended" leather will be coming off and being sent to the UK...new extended leather will be fitted, and the dash re-installed - hopefully next weekend.
I have just recently bought a set of E46 M3 folding mirrors from a seller in London, and willl be modding them to fit onto the Z3....hence the search for "bases".
I reckon if I can either mod the OEM bases, or use them as templates to have "hybrid" aluminium bases cast which on the one side will fit perfectly to the Z3 door, and the outer side fit to the e46 mirror, I will have acheived success. Once a casting mould has been made, it will allow anyone else wanting to make this modification easy access to ready made bases, and also open up access to OEM Z3 M mirrors which is becoming more and more scarce..and hugely costly.
I note that standard Z3 mirrors are asking £175 per side now...was only a couple of years back when M mirrors were only fetching £ 200 a pair!!
The electrics on the auto folding E46 M mirrors will need sorting so they are fully operational, but I can't imagine it will pose an insurmountable problem.
Anyhow...let me know if you find that base...and cost of postage to Johannesburg...many thanks for your considerate reply !! :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Southernboy wrote:Does anyone recall a post on the forum describing a wing mirror base replacement alternative. I seem to recall the person who was doing this may have been in Holland. For some reason I seem to think he was offering them made out of a corrosion free hard plastic type material??

Took some finding I can tell you.

http://www.spiegel-z3.de/kunststoffsockel.html
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You're a better detective than I am !! Thanks for that Brian... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...Had a look there...eu.22.00 per base only, unpainted....not a bad price I guess if that's all one needs to replace. I must say I like what they've done...
and the cost for a full mirror excluding the innards isn't too shabby. Probably more cost effective than buying 2nd hand and still having to re-furbish and paint.
"Normal is overrated"

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Found it Barry! Let me know if you want it

Pete
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Hi, just letting everyone know that I purchased on of the new 'permanent fix' replacement wing mirrors as linked to above.

Mind you it took 1 month to get it here in Australia and it had looked like the package was run over by a car, but I am very happy with the level of service, communication, and the product. It is easy to install, feels really solid, has no sharp machined edges and such. I highly recommend it. They did not have the base in my car colour so the guy sent me a spare spring nut/washer thingo just in case I wanted to use my own base! I am really pleased with it.