Steering wheel

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
jenmark

Z3 roadster 2.8

Steering wheel

Post by jenmark »

Had my steering wheel back from Jack royal steering wheels
Today, he's done a superb job the quality is fantastic
We'll recommend it
Mint

blank

Re: Steering wheel

Post by Mint »

Any pics? Be good to see...
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Also got my wheel back from Jack today. A super job to, put it this way, if I was splashing out 40-50k on a new Beamer, I wouldn't be expecting anything better! :thumb: Put it back on the car this evening before night shift, and it feels spot on (and smells of beautiful new leather too). Its double thick as well, so feels just like my E91 M Sport. Will upload some pics tomoz. :drive
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

There you go, it's the black plain leather (which is textured) so not too dissimilar from the airbag plastic cover. It is also double thickened to match my M Sport 330 Tourer, which has a good feel. I'm told that the Napper leather is smooth and a dark grey...worth noting. General workmanship and stitching is top notch in my opinion. :)

......right, just off nights so off to get some 'shut eye' see ya :wave
Last edited by Koolflyer on Sat 22 Mar, 2014 15:47, edited 2 times in total.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Looks great - I think that's the way I'll go when I have mine done. Thanks for the pics.
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

im torn between doing this and fitting a RAID. been in touch with carnewal in Belgium and they want 60 quid for a boss and about £400 for the wheel itself. Expensive stuff :shock: posts from others suggest the feel is totally different and an essential mod, driving a car like a Z3 with a wheel from a 7 series is mad! :head:

Would be interesting to know if the wheel 'feels' smaller and sportier? and what the difference would be between the new Raid cost wise? Plus there is the added tension of fitting a new whell without setting the airbag light off!!!! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :bawl:
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Buzz,

I have had both, I had a standard wheel recovered and thickened by Jack and it felt superb, his work is really good, I now have a Raid wheel, a great upgrade but not essential.

The costs do not compare as a recovered wheel is approx £125.00

Brian
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I hankered after a raid steering wheel for a while, but after having mine recovered by Jack I no longer want or need one...

I had the smooth nappa mixed with perforated leather, double padding and blue stitching.
Its like the feel I had with my Z4M wheel, and its like using a modern-car steering wheel again, and it doesnt block out anymore of the instrument cluster.
Last edited by gookah on Wed 19 Mar, 2014 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Buz007

Just being that much more thicker gives you bit more grip and comfort, also doesn't feel like driving a lorry any more. Cost for all leather is £105 plus £9.99 24hr recorded delivery. The Alcantra is £130 plus delivery. I reckon a great mod. for not a huge outlay IMHO. I've just come back from a top down, full sunshine test ride, and I now have a big grin on my face.....gotta be worth it! :thumb:

Cheers Pete
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

A re-cover it is! You've all sold it to me plus the pics look great. Cheers everyone!
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Scrapman

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Scrapman »

gookah wrote:I hankered after a raid steering wheel for a while, but after having mine recovered by Jack I no longer want or need one...

I had the smooth nappa mixed with perforated leather, double padding and blue stitching.
Its like the feel I had with my Z4M wheel, and its like using a modern-car steering wheel again, and it doesnt block out anymore of the instrument cluster.
I think that is stunning. I want the same in red.

How quickly do they turn these around, and how easy is it to remove the steering wheel?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Scrapman wrote:I think that is stunning. I want the same in red
I agree, they look great. :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Scrapman wrote:
gookah wrote:I hankered after a raid steering wheel for a while, but after having mine recovered by Jack I no longer want or need one...

I think that is stunning. I want the same in red.

How quickly do they turn these around, and how easy is it to remove the steering wheel?
2-3 weeks, its all on his site.

http://royalsteeringwheels.com
You can send in yours and wait, or he will refurbish one of his stock and send it out then refund your deposit on receipt of your old wheel.
Mine cost £115 for that version. the refundable deposit is £100, I had no problems as you just post the wheel back in the box the new one came in.

To remove the wheel disconnect the battery for at least half hour before and during.
The two trim pieces (in blue on mine) are just a push fit and you can gently remove them with a screwdriver.
on the back of the wheel are two recesses with torx screws that you need to remove to remove the airbag, disconnect the cable.
Undo the centre bolt on the steering wheel after making sure the wheels are in straight ahead position.
If its a bit stiff to remove, screw the bolt back in a few turns and give the wheel a good sharp yank with 2 hands. The bolt stops it hitting you in the face.
Once it has moved it will pull off easy after removing the bolt.
Turn the wheel over and remove the torx bolts on the complete slip ring, fit it to your new wheel and then build everything back up in reverse.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Royal steering wheels have certainly built up a great reputation and it's next on my list Thanks for sharing.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I went to opposite direction - smaller, old-school steering wheel with some racing look.

Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

I need an airbag the way I gork at birds while I'm driving :oops: :oops: :lol:
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

Do you know you've fitted it on the wrong side? Epic fail. :dunce:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Buz007 wrote:Do you know you've fitted it on the wrong side? Epic fail. :dunce:
Wrong side parts from UK are usually cheaper :P
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Steering wheel

Post by g8jka »

Had mine done recently as well. Probably one of the best mods I have done certainly improves the driving experience and feels a lot more modern. I went for double padding, perforated leather top and bottom with smooth nappa on the sides and silver stitching :-)

2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Buz007 wrote:I need an airbag the way I gork at birds while I'm driving :oops: :oops: :lol:
Adds some spice to boring life :D Driving without airbag is like living on the edge :D
Scrapman

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Scrapman »

My everyday car has 14 airbags, which is more than my last 3 cars put together.

If I crash I will suffocate.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Is there any way of dulling down the gloss sheen of the airbag cover so that it looks more in keeping with the leather?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... Rustoleum plastic or vynil matt paint.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Does the airbag cover split open or does it flip out of the way when deployed?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....take a fast drive...find a tree...and let us know... :roflmao:
It splits across the center line... So technically, you could cover it in leather provided you don't use a single piece of leather across the line...You can fit a single piece of leather, and then use a thin sharp blade - a doc's scalpel - and split the leather. It won't interfere in the deployment. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Look on ebay for a set of red and black M seats - there is a set on there for £1499.... yep thats right, £1.5K... however in the pictures you can also buy the steering wheel looks to have had the "fast drive, big tree" treatment and you'll see how they open.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Oh yes! I don't think I'd risk covering it and making my own cuts - you'd only find out whether you'd cut it far enough at the point of impact!!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Oh yes! I don't think I'd risk covering it and making my own cuts - you'd only find out whether you'd cut it far enough at the point of impact!!

What I always wondered with airbags is why do manufacturers continue to have the horn built into the centre of the wheel. If someone is coming towards you and maybe you are pressing the horn, you have a big hand in front of the airbag when it deploys.
I have heard of an incident where an airbag deployed and shoved a lit cigarette up the drivers nose.... :D

beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

perfect birthday prezzie for me mrs her steering wheel has gone a bit sticky to the touch and the red colour comes of on your hands on a hot day. and as its going back on the road at the beginning of next month I better get it off the car anyone know what size nut is holding it on and I presume the airbag is held on at the back with a couple of screws/torx
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

5/8" SOCKET WILL DO IT... :wink:
Airbag comes away with the hooter pod....all you do is remove the push in plug conector(s) at the back....FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY & WAIT 20 SECONDS !!!!
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you cover it with leather, then the cut must go all the way through the leather...that's why you need to use a THIN blade...so it leaves no obvious mark.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

Southernboy wrote:5/8" SOCKET WILL DO IT... :wink:
Airbag comes away with the hooter pod....all you do is remove the push in plug conector(s) at the back....FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY & WAIT 20 SECONDS !!!!
er cheers anyone know what 5/8 is in metric :lol: :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Probably around 16... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

It is 16. You should have this tool in your boot tool box. I think it's the same as the one for sparks.

There are also two torx bolts to remove airbag. I think they were T25 or T27.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I do have a 16 flat ratchet spanner...I use that on the safetybelt bolts which fit to the seat at the bottom... I have no 16 socket, and dislike sparkplug spanners..they're not stable enough if they're not doing sparkplug work.... But I do have a set of Imperial sockets and 5/8" is a perfect fit, and it's a proper socket for bolts... :D
My steering wheel doesn't have torx screws...it's the facelift one with the "stick the screwdriver in the hole and pop the spring locks" type fitting. Must admit, I preferred the torx screw method of mounting in my last Z3... the spring locks are a PITA... too fiddly.
"Normal is overrated"

beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

16mm it was I was expecting a big 36mm or something anyway its on its way to royal the wheel was red but iv decided on having it done in black nappa and perforated (like my audi a3) as I didn't think new red would blend in with the old red of the cars interior and the car has red and black sports seats should look ok (gone for dark red stitching tho) 8-)
Scrapman

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Scrapman »

If you don't mind, could you post a photo when you get it back?

I also have the red/black leather, but I am trying to revitalise it with Ecco shoe products. It's starting to slowly improve, but not sure the red will ever be bright again.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

certainly will feller 8-)
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

well it came back today absolutely chuffing great 8-) 8-) I fitted it tonight but then it started raining so I pulled the cover back over the car ill take some pics Friday when it goes for an mot (im taking it to a place where the testers over 6 foot tall as when you adjust the seat the airbag light comes on im six foot so he wont adjust the seat :lol:)