SEATBELT SHOULDER PADS.

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

SEATBELT SHOULDER PADS.

Post by Southernboy »

Who has bought and fitted these and been sorely dissapointed in the quality after a few weeks / months? I was recently requested to provide the artwork of the "roadster" typeface to one of the forum members who wanted to have some of these made up for his car. I commented at the time that he should consider some basic improvements to the Taiwanese / Chinese etc items available on eBay as they were not really up to the job and looked really tatty after a short time...
Although I like the idea, and they do improve the comfort of the Z3 seatbelt fitting, I am not happy with the method used to make them. They seem to wear quickly, and "scrunch" up somewhat as well as tend to lose their lateral shape across the face of the seatbelt....
It would be nice if someone whose BH is a keen dressmaker to have a look at the issue and possibly come up with a solution... Off the cuff, I would suggest that the outside face should have some "stiffening" type backing which will maintain the fabric vertically and horizontally more stable... the inner side would need some padding to do it's job, but possibly that needs to have a "quilted rib" stitched finish...it would act like corrugations in a metal plate to provide some rigidity without detrating from the padded comfort... perhaps even diamond shape quilting will do the trick...
If anyone has a family member that is a keen seamstress in their spare time, I would be happy to email the "roadster" typeface across, so that they could have it embroidered to the front exposed face for a bit of aesthetics... It would be fairly simple to make and the use of velcro as per the Taiwanese version is still the way to go for a fastening system. A washable padding filler and outer fabric will make the item serviceable... Maybe some type of synthetic (Black) "canvas" fabric vs flimsy stuff will be best ?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: SEATBELT SHOULDER PADS.

Post by deni2s »

I have now some cheap Chinese shoulder pads with carbon fibre texture (they blend well in to my interior), but I had heard that http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=B ... =BAS%20SB2 are good too. I ordered a pair for myself some time ago, they are good quality parts, but I am happy with the cheap ones for now :)
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I bought these http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page162.html from Roadster Solutions over 14 years ago now and they are still good as new. The leather is a very good match to the seats
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... Those look quite neat Geoff...are the ones you bought made from leather too ?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Southernboy wrote:..... Those look quite neat Geoff...are the ones you bought made from leather too ?
Yes they are a beige leather that match my interior perfectly, looking at the advert again it doesn't say they are leather, maybe over the years they may of changed the material, but they look exactly the same as the ones I got from them