Found great leather treatment

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Found great leather treatment

Post by eddie1 »

The Mrs went to The Lincolnshire Show yesterday and bought me a prezzie! A tub of leather cleaner, restorer called Renapur, leather balsam. It cleans, nourishes and protects leather. You only need a tiny amount, use sparingly using a small dry sponge (provided were two!) Helps restore colour and softness too! Can be used on any leather products it retailed at the show for £12.00. So not too expensive. I'm really impressed with it and it smells nice too, not girly, just enhanced leather smell, ..... 'nice'
Contains, beeswax & johoba oil. Be brilliant on motorcycle leathers. The web site is ; ...... http://www.renapur.com

Eddie
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Found great leather treatment

Post by Davejue1 »

You'll be upsetting the E45 cream followers on here! Not tried it myself but some on here like it. Each to there own I suppose! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Yeah haven't tried E45 except on meself, but this cleans and does look good!
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I must say I have to give a "shout out" to the E45 Cream (not lotion), i used it the other day.

I've tried gliptone GT11 & GT12

I've tried Autoglym Leather cleaner & their leather balm

I've no probs with any of the above except for the Gliptone cleaner.....I prefer to use a soft shoe brush so the cleaner suds up, gliptone is gloopy and doesnt sud.... i just dont like cleaning with it.
They all do their job well but i recently cleaned with Autoglym Leather cleaner as per instructions then massaged copious amounts of E45 into the leather, I left it for about 7 hours and then buffed up the leather with a micro fibre......all i can say is wow! it feels terrific, lovely and supple and a matt finish to boot

Just my preference but I prefer to use a separate leather cleaner & balm.
My view is you need the separate cleaner to pull out the dirt, once clean then condition it.
an all-in-one product IMO locks in the dirt.
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

I dont know, my all in one certainly brought out the dirt, the sponge was dirty, it looked good and felt supple. I suppose its a matter of choice and preference. I suppose I'll give E45 a go, in twenty years time when I've used up me tub!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

One of the best leather cleaners I've come across is Autosol. It comes in a small tube here - probably around 125ml size - it's a white'ish creme stuff, but seems impregnated with a very fine gritty substance - probably marble dust - Anyhow, I have found it exceptionally good at effectively removing dirt / grime and "bodyoil" staining. It doesn't require mixing with water, so the leather stays "dry" and it removes the "gloss" surface which builds up over time. E45 for the "re-moisturising" afterwards is about as good as it gets.... although recently I've found Bennetts Nipple Creme to be extraordinary... contains loads of lanolin and has a non sticky / oily feel afterward... also it spreads thinner over a larger area / quantity used... Available from chemists, baby care shops etc... It is available in a "pure" form too, which looks and feels very similar to Dubbin, but without the stickyness.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i bought Renapur from the classic car show years ago. they demonstrated it by putting it on peoples shoes and buffing off to a shine. i tried on a leather seats but found it to leave a sticky residue so in the end i only used it on shoes. is it still a golden colour with a wax like texture?
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

yeah you are right it is initially sticky, only noticed it on the steering wheel, which went away after a while. I still rate it tho' it did bring the leather up really nice.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Southernboy wrote: although recently I've found Bennetts Nipple Creme to be extraordinary...
You've got to be making that up! :lol:
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

Hi all dont know if any of you guys have discoved
Mr leather wipes look them up on tinternet.
You will not be disapointed

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

As far as I know it is important to use a conditioner that contains a moisteriser that will soak into the leather and keep it supple. Lanolin is a natural, animal-based product/oil that does a good job. I've used a Simoniz product that contained lanolin and I was very happy with it. I've also used E45 cream in a tube (not the more watery lotion) and that has worked well. I haven't used leather wipes and if I did I would be keen to make sure that they did not just contain a bit of silicone to merely put a temporary shine on the leather.

The posher car leather conditioners just seem to contain an additional chemical that is designed to mimic the smell of leather - this smell doesn't seem to last that long in my experience. :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... nope... not kidding... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:One of the best leather cleaners I've come across is Autosol. .... although recently I've found Bennetts Nipple Creme to be extraordinary... .

Can I use Autosol on my nipples though?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ you can if you like, but I wouldn't advise it... :D
"Normal is overrated"

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I use to be a saddler so I use some of the products that I use to sell for equine leather work, the best I found were made by Effax I 'm trying some of their balsom on my seats at the moment will keep you posted, works great on my leather Stress Less chair though
Petrt