Just when you think!

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Just when you think!

Post by eddie1 »

Just called in to the body shop to see how the works progressing. The rust on the sills was worse than they thought, so they are replacing a small area with plate. Its also starting to appear elsewhere on the wheel arches. Very small hard even to feel, but when the car was raised up it was quite clear! Not too bad, but worth catching in its infancy. So, it will cost more than the initial £850, hopefully ready for Donny C & CB on Sunday. They assure me it will be! I hope they are not going to drop a respray on me Ha-ha! ........ Like the man said, welcome to the world of Z3s!

Eddie1
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Just when you think!

Post by Southernboy »

....... What is rust ? Is it something you guys have as an alternative to endless sunny days..... :D :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

We just 'love' sorting out our little rust areas.

What else would we do on a weekend :roflmao:

You're only jealous :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Green with it...I mean the countryside and all the sunshine.... We spend our weekends with the roof down and the sound of rubber on the road.... and wishing we could be back at home waiting for the rain to stop so we can go out and deal with the rust.... :D
On a more serious note, I'll be spending the weekend fitting new rear shocks... not looking forward to fiddling around in the back roof well... but I suppose it's not likely to be rusty back there...or under the car... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Had to replace my rear shocks with the top mounts a few months ago.

Have fun in the SUN

In the USA at the moment melting in the heat, pity I couldn't bring the Z3
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Well Southernboy, I can drive from one end of my town with the roof down to the other. I bet you can't, certainly not in Jo'burg or the Cape or Durban!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... There are risks here in doing that... mainly from sunburn though, and anything else can be settled by Mr Smith and Mr Wesson... :D
Actually, I take every opportunity to drive top down, and if it takes me through the city and some other dubious places, I really don't worry but I do take care....
The Z3 is not considered a car here by the thugs hijackers etc... they prefer wheels that will carry at least 6 people...so in general I feel pretty comfortable... And even if I had the roof up, what difference would it make to a group of thugs intent on their mission.
I often drive from my place in North west of Jhb across to the East Rand without using the freeways... roof down - and the route takes me through urban, shanty, squatter settlements and bush lined roads.... I prefer it to the highways... I get to see so much more than other motorists travelling in the same direction 4 lanes wide.... and I don't have a death wish... It's no different here than most other places around the world... the choice is to live in fear or not... avoid being stupid about where one goes since some areas are less safe.... but above all, don't let a few ruin the lives of the many.
Many people think that the more affluent areas are safest, but it's more the reverse being true. Affluence is a target for the thugs, and that's where one is quite likely to encounter violent troubles. A life raised in Africa which has included being involved (in uniform) in two essentially "civil conflicts" has provided enough insight into the character of thuggery.... The only time I've been truly scared out here was in the Indian Ocean... and a large black dorsal fin twenty yards away....
Mostly you guys will never have to consider the prospect of a violent attack, and that is a better way to live. But, the fact that it could, can and does happen here more commonly is no different than when your forefathers first stepped into Africa... there were wild animals, indigenous tribes and diseases which threatened them.. Africa is still Africa. :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

My sister lived in Jo'burg for 30yrs, she ran an Italian Ristorante. She came back last year to stay, her son has settled down here and her marriage had failed. So she decided to come back. She does miss her friends tho' and the weather I think altho' she did say it got cold there, I think she knows what cold is now tho'! However, I've found a butchers that does Borrawurst ( excuse spelling ) so its not all bad! Keep the top down mate, anyway its probably down that often its seized up! Looking forward to getting mine back on Friday after the work should look great. Not the car for visiting the game reserves in tho' I bet?

Eddie1
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Saying all that tho' there's areas in the UK you'd avoid like the plague! in a nice car or a stranger even white or black!
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Take out the references to the sun and Southernboy's description could just as easily apply to parts of the West Midlands, West Yorkshire, Liverpool, the NE, etc, etc.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Too right!