RESEARCH - COMMENTS AND ASSISTANCE...

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi all...I'm looking into producing a really small (90mm L x 55mm W x 50mm H) 12V DC hand held "micro" size polisher / buffer with a 50mm - 80mm Diameter (2" - 3") rotary face to which the buff/polishing pad can be attached. The reason for this is mainly for use on plastics like the rear window and light fitting covers etc. The max RPM will be around 300, which means it won't build up heat that will damage / melt plastics. Also, because it's such a low speed it will also mean the polish used isn't likely to be flung out off the pad. The total weight will be around 250 grams, and will come with a ciggy lighter attachment so it can be plugged into the console lighter unit for power. The lead will be around 1,5 meters long, which will allow it to extend to the back and can be used on the inside of the window. Being so small and lightweight, and with a small diameter pad, it will easily get into the corners of the window, whilst allowing ease of operation...essentially it can be held in one's fingertips. It's a high torque / low rpm geared unit.
It will also be useful for doing the headlight lenses and even the instrument cluster perspex window, and very likely be able to be used on the doors behind the door mirrors and the recesses of the fog light housings, the front grill lateral bars etc etc...
It could also be used for small stone chip repair jobs where one needs to apply a small touch of paint and rub it down before applying clear coat and buffing to finish.
It can also be used to apply polish to the leather seats, and to buff afterwards....
So, all in all a multi-purpose item, small and light enough, low RPM to avoid heat or other damage (as is possible with a high speed unit)... and powered from the ciggy lighter out put socket...
Comments interest ........ thanks in anticipation. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: RESEARCH - COMMENTS AND ASSISTANCE...

Post by Vic-Z3 »

I like it ................................... :thumb:

Just need the lead to be around 4mtr imo.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:The lead will be around 1.5 meters long ......
It will also be useful for doing the headlight lenses

Do you remove the headlights, and do them inside the car? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

................ an extension might be useful then for working outside the car....but to have 4 meters of wire would make for a mess in no time...The tool is barely the size of the average computer mouse, can you imagine it with a 4 meter tail... :roll:
So, the question is, do I supply an extension, or does the purchaser supply his own ?? Apart from the added cost of cable, there's the added cost of shipping what can be easily provided by the purchaser wherever he is located perhaps :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Can you make it work of a usb lead like a phone?
Easy and cheap to source any length then..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If a USB connection with 1.5m of cable can be found for less than £ 0.99 and you have a plug in adaptor for the ciggy lighter for a USB jack already, it would be feasible. I reckon most drivers will be content with a simple direct into the ciggy lighter fitting - less complication and cheap as chips too. I don't see the point of the USB connection other than for a sensitive electronics appliance like a phone etc. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

But with a USB connection, I could buff my computer monitor, oh wait, there's enough buffing going on in front of that thing anyway. :oops:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The problem with a USB connection is it's designed to handle milliamps.....just not compatible to handle amps which an electric motor needs... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"