Cleaning BBS LM reps

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Cleaning BBS LM reps

Post by Devon Z »

I've always loved BBS alloys, had them on my MKII Golf 16v and the wife's Volvo T4 but they are a pain to clean. Well now I've got a set of 18" LM reps with black centers on the Zed so what are people's cleaning methods for these wheels? Any brushes that work well?
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Cleaning BBS LM reps

Post by g8jka »

They are a pain to clean but look great when they are. Before you fit them (I presume they are new?) make sure you seal them with a good quality sealant and probably a couple of coats. Poorboys wheel sealant is ok but doesn't last that long or use something like Collinite 476 or FK100P (I think that's what it's called), it will take time and is a pain but they are much easy to clean afterwards. All you need is just some normal shampoo and brushes. I use a mitt or a soft brush for the lips and the faces and I then use an EZ Detail wheel brush for inside the spokes and inside the rims. Then coat the wheels with some tyre shine or gel to finish them off.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

They are not new and I'll be repolishing the rims over the winter and fitting some Alloygator rim protectors as there is no rim protection from the tyres :shock: Thanks for the info.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

If they are not new make sure you get a decent tar remover and get them very cleaning prior to polishing and sealing. You will find it much easier to keep them clean in the future. Mine could do with a polish now even though I only run them in the summer.

Save fitting the rim protectors just make sure you stay away from kerbs, it sounds like you are expecting to kerb them :head:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

g8jka wrote:Save fitting the rim protectors just make sure you stay away from kerbs, it sounds like you are expecting to kerb them :head:
I live in a small south Devon fishing town with very narrow roads with granite kerbstones :shock: So unfortunately yes :head:
99 2.0 Topaz Individual