hood maintenance

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

hood maintenance

Post by nicolawright »

hey all,

i think i have to make a group apology. I took my hardtop off last week and have noticed that each day since has produced some miserable weather!!

i wanted your views on which products to go for to protect my hood.. it's currently in real good condition (unmarked, very rich black) and i want to keep it that way..

having done some searches on this forum there appears to be 3 suitable products..

renovo ultra proofer
autoglym kit
bmw hood impregnator

which one should i go for? on the recommendations on here, i bought some rear screen polish from renovo which worked well. but at £20 the autoglym seems like good value as it is both a cleaner and protector.

i also read the renovo product is easier to apply.

anyway, would be keen to hear your views (especially those who have a softtop all year round)...

thanks,

nicky xx
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

I used Autoglym's and it worked really well, very well cleaned with the shampoo and then use the waterproofing agent. cost about £20 from Halford's.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

I used the BMW cleaner and impregnator at the week end and they seem to have done a good job but the dealer only sold it in a care kit which cost £45 including some shampoo'n'wax a plastic cleaner and something to take of resin off
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

I used the Autoglym when I had my Alfa Spider that had a Tan roof...

Mein Gott.. never have I seen so much crap come out of a roof!!

It was stunning afterwards!
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I use the cheap Turtle Wax one at halfrauds, because it said it waterproofed and resisted green mould, which the Autoglym one did not. I should have bought some blackening dye stuff to make it look new, but that will wait until the TW waterproofer wears off.

Terrible weather, are you willing to take the blame for the Zed's MOT being due too? :lol:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

bought the autoglym pack from halfords for £20..

applied the stuff earlier. the cleaning product had a lovely scent.. wasnt too difficult to apply.

hopefully, i will report back with good results..

nicky xx

p.s estocks, just claiming the bad weather for now! :wink:
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

nicolawright wrote:bought the autoglym pack from halfords for £20..

applied the stuff earlier. the cleaning product had a lovely scent.. wasnt too difficult to apply.

hopefully, i will report back with good results..

nicky xx

p.s estocks, just claiming the bad weather for now! :wink:
I think I'll give that a go too, my hood's looking a bit grubby. You can apportion some of the bad weather blame to me, I bought the Z two weeks ago and it HASN'T stopped raining. never mind...
ukbambammatt

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by ukbambammatt »

My hood has a a light green mould appearing due to all the rain we've had....what would be the best stuff to use to remove this and wash the hood with?
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

ukbambammatt wrote:My hood has a a light green mould appearing due to all the rain we've had....what would be the best stuff to use to remove this and wash the hood with?
Give the Autoglym a try - it comes with a sponge type thingy which is good for shifting any mould.
badboyblue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by badboyblue »

ukbambammatt wrote:My hood has a a light green mould appearing due to all the rain we've had....what would be the best stuff to use to remove this and wash the hood with?
Mine was like this, tried scrubbing etc but could never get it all out. Last week I took the power washer to it - absolutely fantastic results - comparitively it is now like new.

Ignore anyone who advises against it, it really is the easiest and most effective method and having had soft tops for the lasts 4 or 5 years and always listening to the advice to steer clear of the power wash - I wish I'd tried it sooner.

I got a slight dribble in in the middle of the drop glass on both sides but as I was directing the spray at the very edge of the roof that isn't too surprising.

Just reproofed it this morning with the Renovo Ultra Proofer - never done this before - I'll keep you posted on the results.
ukbambammatt

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by ukbambammatt »

Cheers guys going up the old man's tomorrow so may borrow his pressure washer....cheers.
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

I'd steer clear of the pressure washer if I were you. Use Autoglym cleaner and then renovo treatment to rewaterproof.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I regularly rinse my roof at the local jetwash. Only ever use cold clean water unless I am going to re-proof it. You do need to be careful though, as some of these machines can be quite powerful. Don't point the lance straight at the roof, use it at an angle so that the water rinses the dirt out of the canvas and off the car. Don't use it on one place for too long. Don't point it directly at the window seals - they *will* leak.

I used the BMW hood cleaner stuff to give it a really deep clean, and it works very well, but you must re-proof it after using it.

Apart from a few small wear marks, you'd never guess that the hood on my car is over 8 years old! :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
badboyblue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by badboyblue »

Alex L wrote:I'd steer clear of the pressure washer if I were you. Use Autoglym cleaner and then renovo treatment to rewaterproof.
Have you ever tried to shift deep rooted "green stuff" from a much neglected hood?? The AG stuff and sponge simply doesn't work - I even took a nail brush to mine and though it clears the stuff on the top weave it doesn't get the deep stuff.
The power wash on the otherhand left it like new - have you tried a power wash on yours? I'm not advocating you you use it on a weekly basis but to shift crap it quite simply rules!!!! and don't knock it till you've tried it.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

muppet wrote:I used the BMW cleaner and impregnator at the week end and they seem to have done a good job but the dealer only sold it in a care kit which cost £45 including some shampoo'n'wax a plastic cleaner and something to take of resin off
I too use the BMW product and have used it for over 2 yrs it is very good you do need to wash the hood first and then apply the proofing agent, when it rains the water just beads and runs off, as muppet says it cost a bit but so what, don't try doing it on the cheap, and the kit will last for at least 7-8 applications
badboyblue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by badboyblue »

I said I'd keep you posted on the performance of the Renovo Ultra Proofer, Well last night it rained - so I got some pic's this morning. Of course it's still fresh but I've never had beading on my roof before!!!

Richi

Z3 roadster 2.8

Right guys...............

Post by Richi »

....... so we have solved the problem of getting the hood clean......... what is available for returning the fabric "Back to black" ? Mine is 10 years old and the hood is still sound, but slightly silvery on some edges. Does the Renovo stuff which badboyblue has used bring the colour back as well as proofing the hood?

Richard.
Straight_Six

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Straight_Six »

badboyblue and his pressure washer again! lol :P

i told you the Renovo stuff was good m8y, ive still yet to get round to doing mine yet :-( and no i wont be using the pressure washer! hahaha

Leigh
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

The beading should be better than that, either a weak mixture or not enough on. or perhaps the BMW stuff is a lot better :lol: